Homemade Biscuit/Victory type malt making question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Does oven dry roasting a pound or two of a typical base malt (such as Pilsner, Brewers, Vienna, Maris Otter, GP, Pale) for 90 minutes at a measured 250 degrees sound about right for making a ballpark 28L Biscuit or Victory type malt?

Should I apply convection or not?

Is any particular type of base malt to be preferred flavor-wise here?

Last edited:
I went ahead and oven roasted a pound of Briess Vienna malt for 60 minutes at 250 degrees in our pre-heated electric oven with convection activated, and then I "Congress" mashed 50 grams of this (finely crushed using a well cleaned out coffee grinder) in 200 grams of distilled water which was held throughout the 60 minute mash at between 146 and 156 degrees F.. The cup on the right in the image seen below is what it looks like. Currently it is settling and cooling for a pH reading. It has not roasted enough to lose all of its diastatic power, as it passes the iodine starch test with flying colors. It tastes deliciously biscuit like and sweet, and smells absolutely wonderful. I guessed the wort color at 13-14 SRM. For color reference the glass container to the left has a partial stick of butter in it, and the container between the two glasses has semi-solidified room temperature bacon grease in it. I apologize that the image has a false blue tint to it from the LED bulb in the hood of the range at right. The blue tint is not visible sans in the image. I didn't have any real Briess Victory malt on hand to mash along side of it for color comparison, but my initial guess is that my homemade toasted malt creation is somewhat lighter in color than Congress mashed Victory would be. Perhaps dry roasting it for 75-90 minutes at 250 degrees with convection (rather than the 60 minutes I roasted it) would have pegged it. ???

PS: If you are wondering what the disaster in the glass on the left is all about, it is a Congress mash I made using some presumed to be "Sprouted Spelt Berries" I came across. It turned into a very thick and gelatinous cereal goo of starch that totally fails the iodine test, and doesn't appear as if it will ever separate. From this I have concluded that it is a mash of spelt that was never sprouted.

Congress_Mash_2.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a rather blurry image of the two "Congress" mashes while in process on our induction range top. The water bath at this moment was sitting at 160 degrees F. on the nose.

Congress_Mash_1.jpg

My homemade Biscuit/Victory-Like malts distilled water mash pH came in at 5.07 at about 72 degrees F.. There is much less of the annoying blue tint in this image. These colors are a much better reflection of what my eyes are seeing.

pH.jpg

For grins I measured a Brix reading of 17.9 on my small yield of 'Congress Mash' wort. The 50 grams of oven toasted Vienna malt were well crushed prior to mashing, plus there was plenty of stirring going on during the mash.

The more I think of it, the more I think that 60 minutes at 250 degrees with the convection fan blowing across it made it come out just about perfect. I'm not sure if it should have gotten any more roasting time or not. I'm quite happy with the finished product.

Last edited:
D. M. Riffe lists a 25L Biscuit malt (no brand name specified) at a measured 5.08 DI_pH, and 29L Crisp Amber malt at a measured DI_pH of 5.09, so my 5.07 DI_pH measurement seems to be right in the ballpark.

Perhaps that is an indication that my homemade Biscuit/Victory type toasted malts color is roughly within the 25L to 29L ballpark also. If so, then mission accomplished.

Last edited:
Back