Homegrown hops lacking flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
So I brewed a simple pale ale last week consisting of 5# 2-row, 5# Vienna and 1/4# rolled oats. Hops added were as follows:
.5oz Warrior pellet @60 min
All homegrown after 60
1oz Cascade 15min
1oz Cascade 10min
1oz Cascade + .5 oz Centennial 5 min
1.5oz Cascade + .5oz Centennial Whirlpool @170 for 30min
It smelled lovely when I brewed it and was hop heaven when fermenting. I took a sample a couple days ago and dry hopped it with 1oz Cascade but the aroma in the fermenter is still just young beer. The sample tasted like beer but not the hoppy beer I was envisioning. Maybe I'm jumping the gun and the flavor will be there when I go to keg and drink next week.
The hops were papery and smelled great when I picked them so I don't think I picked them too early. They were dried for 3 days on a screen in the garage with a fan on low blowing over them and then vacuum packed and frozen the week prior to brewing.
Here is what they looked like when I picked. Plenty of Lupulin. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1473515771.965333.jpg
Anyone have any recommendations?

You'll have to play with amounts and times. I get aroma and flavor out of my dry hop. When I dry hop I'll use 2 to 3 oz. I drop a bag in the keg and let it ride until it kicks.

My DIPA used a full pound of hops in a 5 gallon batch. 4 Oz in dry hop. It was deee-licious. A hop bomb for sure. 2 Oz at 60 minutes, and 14 oz from 10 to 0. With my leaf hops, I have to use more to make it hoppy.

You'll have to play with amounts and times. I get aroma and flavor out of my dry hop. When I dry hop I'll use 2 to 3 oz. I drop a bag in the keg and let it ride until it kicks.

My DIPA used a full pound of hops in a 5 gallon batch. 4 Oz in dry hop. It was deee-licious. A hop bomb for sure. 2 Oz at 60 minutes, and 14 oz from 10 to 0. With my leaf hops, I have to use more to make it hoppy.

Ok awesome. Looks like I'll drop another ounce or two in the keg when I transfer.

I am always disappointed with the hop flavour and aroma at bottling time. Then something magical happens when they carbonate and all is right in the world again.

Yeah. That will help. I get my juiciest flavor and aroma with a major dry hop.

Do you notice it being a little vegetal/grassy smelling for a few days after adding the whole cone hops? That's kind of how mine smells right now. Not the best to be honest but I'm sure it will settle down as the oils start to release more and more.

Do you notice it being a little vegetal/grassy smelling for a few days after adding the whole cone hops? That's kind of how mine smells right now. Not the best to be honest but I'm sure it will settle down as the oils start to release more and more.

I let it ride. 7 days before I taste. The bag stays in until the keg kicks. It's good for me.

Your hops look very good and are absolutely bursting with lupalin, and your harvest process is exactly what i do and have had similar disappointing brewing results. This year I picked the Cascades and Centennials when they are ugly with brown tips and "over-ripe" to see if that makes a difference.

For most recipes using last years homegrown hops I've learned that for aroma equal to commercial pellets I use 3X. For bitterness or IBU's have no idea.

Your hops look very good and are absolutely bursting with lupalin, and your harvest process is exactly what i do and have had similar disappointing brewing results. This year I picked the Cascades and Centennials when they are ugly with brown tips and "over-ripe" to see if that makes a difference.

For most recipes using last years homegrown hops I've learned that for aroma equal to commercial pellets I use 3X. For bitterness or IBU's have no idea.

Yeah I just don't get it. They smell awesome when you open the package and then it seems as if all that just goes away as soon as you dump them in a beer.
I'll be cold crashing and kegging this weekend so hopefully it changes a little once it's cold and all carbed up.

Back