homegrown hops alpha levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minus

Reaction score
Hey fellas, I have another quick question for you all. I have a good friend at work that has given me a large amount of hops from his garden (a fellow brewer). I'm going to be brewing an ESB here soon and wanted to use the organic hops for this brew, however I dont know what the alpha levels are for these hops. Is there any tests or ways to help determine how much hops to use? I have both Willamette and cascade.

Also, I was told to do around 6 hop additions during the brew for an ESB, does that sound right? Id ask around, but I dont really have a recipe for this brew. Thanks in advance :mug:

With homegrown hops, my understanding is that unless you want to pay a lot of money, you look up the alpha acid range for the strain of hops that's grown, and the median is what you go by. So if a hop range is (4.4 - 6.6%), you'd assume it was 5.5%.

And "6 additions" means nothin unless we know how much you add and at what point their added. :]

With homegrown hops, my understanding is that unless you want to pay a lot of money, you look up the alpha acid range for the strain of hops that's grown, and the median is what you go by. So if a hop range is (4.4 - 6.6%), you'd assume it was 5.5%.

And "6 additions" means nothin unless we know how much you add and at what point their added. :]

Thanks for the tips with the hops. With regards to the additions, how would you go about making an esb? With my previous brews, I'd add 2oz of hops at the beginning of the brew and another 2oz 10-12 min towards the end of the brew (for the brown Ive been brewing). I am assuming that over the course of 60 min, I'd be adding hops 6 times at different times of the brew?

This is kinda the method I've used. I have also read about people making teas and determining/estimating IBU's that way.

Most people can't distinguish a difference of lower than 5 IBU's. So, that makes it harder to judge, but also harder to detect if the end product is slightly off than its intended IBU.

i was in bells general store today and they are selling homegrown hops in 8oz bags for $17. granted not the greatest price now but still not bad to try.

Back