Homebrewing, where and how to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What aspects of brewing triggers your frustration the most? (up to 3 answers)

• Poor equipment choices

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Smell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sound

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Set-up size

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Risk of failure

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Set-up prices

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Availability of ingredients

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PMB

Reaction score
Dear readers!

I recently became interested in homebrewing, to the point I would like to buy my own homebrewing set-up in the near future.
Now, I'm really curious what set-ups would be a really great start. I have been looking around and a large variety of set-ups passed my screen, but I can't really find out what set-up would be best.

For example, would you buy an automated machine on which you can control every aspect of the brewing process and minimizes the chance of ruining your brew? Or would you rather buy a DIY-kit and do everything yourself? Why?

And in addition to the question above; where would you buy your supplies? Online, or in a physical store? if so, which stores and/or websites should I visit?

Lastly, I'm curious what aspects spark frustration with you as homebrewers before, during or after brewing?, I'll put this question in the poll below.

Thanks for helping me out!

It all depends on how you want to brew and how much time and effort and money you have to spend. Are you going with extract? BIAB? All grain? I'd buy a book first. I like How to Brew. Others like The Joy of Homebrewing. Figure out how you want to brew then get the equipment to support your chosen method. The only thing that frustrates me about brewing is not having enough time to brew as much as I'd like.

I can't really find out what set-up would be best.

For example, would you buy an automated machine on which you can control every aspect of the brewing process and minimizes the chance of ruining your brew? Or would you rather buy a DIY-kit and do everything yourself? Why?

And in addition to the question above; where would you buy your supplies? Online, or in a physical store? if so, which stores and/or websites should I visit?

There's no "best" answer, there's just what's best for you, which will be different to what's best for me or best for the next person. Some people love the convenience of the automated machines, others think that they take away the fun (and the $$$!). So much depends on your personality, the time you have available and what facilities you have to hand - for instance here in the UK our standard mains electricity is 230V so electric setups are far more common than in the US. You don't even say what country you're in, so it's hard to be more specific.

Same with shops versus online - LHBS may charge more but you can get the value back in advice. I started with my LHBS but didn't like the way they stored hops and like most shops in the UK only have dried yeast which I found limiting. But if you've got a good one with the stuff you need, then why not?

Are you the clubbable sort or not? If you are, then joining a club and helping someone else with a brew can be a great way to get a feel for things without any capital expenditure.

But you really are in how long is a piece of string territory here, there's no "right" answer.

Agreed with everyone. However, if you go all grain I'd recommend doing brew in a bag. I have a three vessel system and cleaning and numbers are sometimes frustrating. I wouldn't change it for the world but when just starting with all grain it can be overwhelming. Go brew in a bag and if you like it, you have a nice boil kettle to start your three vessel system. P.S. when going to three vessel don't underestimate an igloo cooler for a DIY mashtun. Lots of fun to set up and use.

I'm not frustrated by anything listed in your poll. I'm working right now with a new conical fermenter and learning to dial in the processes for using it, but being frustrated never has crossed my mind. Just like a hundred other things, there's a learning curve, I expect to master it, and that's that.

I admire your willingness to gather information prior to making a decision, but I predict that there will be so much information that you'll grow frustrated. There are many options, each has its advantages, and only after figuring out what works best in your situation will you know what's best. Why do I think that? Over the 2 1/2 years I've been brewing, I've bought several things which, on reflection, I should have left "on the shelf." Some of that was the result of making upgrades.

In short, I wish I had made different choices at the beginning, but truth be told, I don't know how that would have been possible. I couldn't imagine having the money invested in brewing that I have now.

And having said that, there are advantages to the approach I used. I learned a great deal including what works, what doesn't, different process posssibilities, and a ton more.

I try to support my local home brew store as much as possible. He's the source of fresh yeast, has good hop prices (higher than online but not too much higher), I can get specialty grains there. I buy my base grains from an outfit 3 hours away, and a couple times a year either pass by and pick up a big order, or have a buddy pick it up for me. I'm talking about 100-150 pound grain orders at a time. Buying in bulk like that cuts down the cost for me a lot.

IMO, the best kit option for new brewers is this: https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-home-brewing-kit.html

It comes with everything you need except for a heat source and bottles. If you subtract the extract kit that comes with it, the entire kit is $200, and that includes shipping. Show me another kit that includes a chiller, a kettle w/ ball valve, Star-San, spoon, hydrometer, thermometer....it's all there.

The nice thing is you're not having to make tons of choices; it's done for you, and the choices are good ones.

I began with a northern brewer kit which, after adding on the kettle, and then the spoon and hydrometer and a few other items, had me close to $400. I wish I'd bought the Morebeer kit.

+1 to all of the above ^^^

If you have the opportunity, attend a homebrew session somewhere. At a friend perhaps, or join a homebrew club and ask if you can attend a brewing session. Many LHBS offer classes so you can see how it all works. There are many vids on the net, but there's nothing like a live session and being there. You can also get a lot of good advice from people who brew, and use what suits you and your process.

Go simple first, brew a (small) extract kit. You don't even need special equipment, just a large pot and your kitchen stove. You can ferment in a (food grade) bucket. Your local bakery may have some empty icing buckets for free or a $1.

How to Brew FTW! I linked to the concise, old online version of the book, start there.
If you think you want to take on brewing, buy the book, the latest, 4th edition came out last year and is up to date in most or all aspects. It's one of the best, if not the best single resource available.

Read around here on HBT, to get ideas and perhaps find answers to questions you'd never thought to ask.

NOTE:
It would be helpful if you'd list your location, at least your State or Country, in your profile.

The first thing you need to do is start growing your beard...
I have a 3 tier system. I love it. Read up and take a stab at it. You can always change your system. That could be a source of frustration, but it’s only money ;-)
Cheers

I started with a basic kit so I could learn the process (I have a tendency to jump ahead). I've been slowly replacing things with better stuff as needed. I also started by brewing the things I like the best so I could determine how I was doing.

While some gear needs to be ordered, I prefer to get my ingredients in my local shop. I do a lot of fiddling with recipes and being able to taste the grains before you buy them is helpful.

Patience is what frustrates me. That and folks giving opinion as absolute fact. While it's good to know all the sciency stuff, ancient peoples made beer just fine. You can too.

Oh yeah, and learn to speak German so you can pronounce "trub" correctly. That's very important... and so you can vorlauf your umlauts.

Some sound advice here. When people tell me they think they wanna brew I usually ask how serious they are about doing it. Ive got a ton of stuff in my basement I never use anymore and knowing now i would not have bought and saved a ton of money. If people express real interest and seriousness I tell them to spend as much money outright as budget allows and go right to all grain etc. Seems to be a consensus on a three vessel system in the responses here, I disagree there but thats an old argument. I have a 20 gallon 2600 dollar electric brewery that utilizes a mash pipe. Its essentially brew in a bag on a bigger and more versatile way and takes up alot less room. Its similar to a grainfather as an example which is something I would suggest looking into if you are serious about it. Speaking of room you'll need space for it all. You're gonna wanna be able to control your ferment temperature in some method. There are cheap labor intensive ways and very expensive hands off ways and everything in between. If you are married you're gonna need a supportive spouse. Making beer takes a big chunk out of weekend day as an example and if you and your friends drink alot of it you'll be spending some time in the garage/basement etc with your new hobby. Research everything. Try and find someone who does it and watch them and spend a day brewing with them etc.

As a new brewer, I wish I didn't start off with a 'starter kit'. I would recommend starting off with the size that you intend to grow into (in my case, was planning on going up to 2.5-3 gallon batches, but starting off with 1g to ease my way into it).

Reason being, is the startup kit was more expensive than what I could have bought it piece by piece at the homebrew store, and it's equipment I'll probably never use again, since I've already upgraded my setup for the larger batch sizes.

With that said, the #1 thing that pissed me off about brewing was fumbling with the autosiphon (maybe I got a defective one). So to counter that, I got pretty good at other methods of siphoning. On my last brew, I practiced siphoning sanitizer between 2 containers while mashing (using different methods so if one way fails, I got a backup), to pass time and get better at it lol. Hey, practice makes perfect right?

As for the list, I don't think any of those trigger my frustration. Hey the sounds and smell of fermenting is on my list of favorite things lol. Availability of ingredients would probably be on that list if I didn't live close to a homebrew store. Shipping costs for grains to Hawaii is totally ridiculous, and if not for the store on island, I would probably stick to extract brewing.

Last edited:
As someone who is brewing my 3rd extract beer after starting a little over a month ago tonight I have recently gone through what you are now beginning.

My suggestion is to READ, READ, READ. Books, internet, cross-check them against each-other etc. You have no excuse these days for lacking information regarding every aspect of brewing. Sure I still don't know tons and tons of things in practice and applying the principles to brewing but if you jam your brain with the theories behind it all this can help (and allow for easier troubleshooting for issues when you are alone doing that first brew and things start to go wrong).

My approach was this:
I purchased a mid-level extract kit (about 120$) that allows you to produce 5 gallon batches. Sure you find out they don't give you EVERYTHING (glass carboy, enough cleaner, etc.) but it allows you to have a baseline of equipment. Mine came with an extract kit as well so I didn't have to dive into recipe creation etc. You can ease into these things.

In my experience with these things you can estimate your own enthusiasm. If I were just kind of curious I'd just get a Mr. Beer and see if it intrigues you (the process). I tend to lean in to hobbies like this and have already tried making sake, mead, beer, and a traiditonal mexican pineapple beverage. Don't go extreme on spending if you are dipping a toe in and have a feeling it might not be for you. If you do some research and get sucked in then embrace being passionate about something you know little about and just jam your brain with info. I dare say anyone here would say any tool/gear beats the encyclopedic knowledge you accrue with every brew.
Welcome, and I hope you take it up with earnest, there is brewing (and drinking) to be done. :mug:

As someone who is brewing my 3rd extract beer after starting a little over a month ago tonight I have recently gone through what you are now beginning.

My suggestion is to READ, READ, READ. Books, internet, cross-check them against each-other etc. You have no excuse these days for lacking information regarding every aspect of brewing. Sure I still don't know tons and tons of things in practice and applying the principles to brewing but if you jam your brain with the theories behind it all this can help (and allow for easier troubleshooting for issues when you are alone doing that first brew and things start to go wrong).
[...] Welcome, and I hope you take it up with earnest, there is brewing (and drinking) to be done. :mug:

Spot on!
Especially the reading. Inform yourself before committing!

Back