Homebrewing slump...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max384

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I moved to a new house in August of 2015. Leading up to the move, I hadn't brewed in about a month, so I can say that I've now gone almost 7 months without brewing. In fact, my brewery isn't even set up at my new house. I haven't posted, or really even browsed, on these forums in about as long as well.

The most ridiculous part is that my new house is far better set up for brewing, and my brewery will occupy an area almost three times the size of my last one... I just need to get it set up and get to brewing! My work schedule has been brutal, and my free time has been spent doing things around the house, and getting my last house ready to sell. I need to prioritize!

And over this last half year, I've come to realize that craft beer is expensive! It had been a couple years since I had last bought commercial beer outside of a brewery or restaurant, since I nearly exclusively drank what I brewed. I started doing some math, and very quickly came to the conclusion that my brewery has paid for itself many times over by now.

I have next weekend mostly off, and my kids will be gone that weekend, so I need to motivate myself to get my brewery back up and running. Hopefully by posting here, I'll feel obligated to do so!

Anyone else ever get into a homebrew slump?

I ended up taking 5 years off at one point due to hectic schedule..... it happens. Once my life settled down I was kicking around in my basement and decided to clean up my brew room, organize my equipment, etc...... I spent 2 days cleaning, organizing and ordered myself two all-grain kits (just to keep things simple - both simple beers that only needed 3-4 weeks to turn around.) Once I got myself reorganized, had some time and got rolling again...... 50+ batches a year ever since.

One piece of advice - when you are trying to get going again - don't rush or cram your brew day in. Make sure you are organized and prepared. Especially after a while off, it makes your day so much more relaxing and fun if you are brewing something simple and you kind of have everything clean and ready to go.

One of the reasons I stopped for 5 years was trying to press brew days in with inadequate preparation and time - in the end, I started brewing some bad batches - and that was even less fun than not brewing at all. Goes a long way to have all your stuff clean, set up and ready to go again - so take a little time to do that.

What are you thinking about brewing? I am just getting the chiller going on a Session Citra IPA right now.

No homebrew slump for me but can totally understand a move really messing up you brewing. It takes a lot of time to get a new house set up. I hate moving.

Don't worry, it will get back to normal soon.

I ended up taking 5 years off at one point due to hectic schedule..... it happens. Once my life settled down I was kicking around in my basement and decided to clean up my brew room, organize my equipment, etc...... I spent 2 days cleaning, organizing and ordered myself two all-grain kits (just to keep things simple - both simple beers that only needed 3-4 weeks to turn around.) Once I got myself reorganized, had some time and got rolling again...... 50+ batches a year ever since.

One piece of advice - when you are trying to get going again - don't rush or cram your brew day in. Make sure you are organized and prepared. Especially after a while off, it makes your day so much more relaxing and fun if you are brewing something simple and you kind of have everything clean and ready to go.

One of the reasons I stopped for 5 years was trying to press brew days in with inadequate preparation and time - in the end, I started brewing some bad batches - and that was even less fun than not brewing at all. Goes a long way to have all your stuff clean, set up and ready to go again - so take a little time to do that.

What are you thinking about brewing? I am just getting the chiller going on a Session Citra IPA right now.

Prior to this, I was averaging brewing about every other weekend. I'm hoping to get back to that schedule... Although my job doesn't allow me to drink as much (maybe not a terrible thing. lol) and I don't have as many friends coming over to help out with emptying kegs... so I'd probably be okay brewing less often... I just need to brew damn it!

My first brew will be a Cascade IPA recipe I've made several times before.

This weekend, they're calling for a big winter storm, so I'm hoping to brew during the blizzard! Winter is my favorite time to brew, and I love brewing in the snow! There's something really satisfying about standing over a boiling brew kettle when it's cold and snowy!

No homebrew slump for me but can totally understand a move really messing up you brewing. It takes a lot of time to get a new house set up. I hate moving.

Don't worry, it will get back to normal soon.

I hate moving too. It was definitely time for me to move, as my family had really outgrown our old house... But that doesn't mean I have to enjoy the moving process!

This weekend, they're calling for a big winter storm, so I'm hoping to brew during the blizzard! Winter is my favorite time to brew, and I love brewing in the snow! There's something really satisfying about standing over a boiling brew kettle when it's cold and snowy!

Sounds like the perfect beer to start up with again. And, I agree about winter brewing....... it is -20 windchill here right now. Nothing more satisfying than standing over a brew kettle in the winter - especially when that brew kettle is inside your house;)
:mug:

IMG_0610.JPG

I'm in a bit of a slump myself. My son was born 8 months ago and I've only gotten two brews in since then. Time is just hard to find. But was has really helped me stay interested in the hobby is reading books and trying to stay active on this forum. It reminds me why I love the hobby and makes me look forward to my next batch.

I just came off a 6 year slump in November. One of the main reasons was that we subdivided our property and built a house. The new house included a dedicated brew space and it still took over three years to get up and brewing again. It doesn't sound like it will take you that long. :mug:

Sounds like the perfect beer to start up with again. And, I agree about winter brewing....... it is -20 windchill here right now. Nothing more satisfying than standing over a brew kettle in the winter - especially when that brew kettle is inside your house;)
:mug:

We don't often see -20 around here, and I might rethink brewing outside in those temps too!

The coldest I've brewed outside was right about 0 F. On those frigid days, the kettle gets left unattended a bit more often...

I'm in a bit of a slump myself. My son was born 8 months ago and I've only gotten two brews in since then. Time is just hard to find. But was has really helped me stay interested in the hobby is reading books and trying to stay active on this forum. It reminds me why I love the hobby and makes me look forward to my next batch.

I have a ton of hobbies, and am active on several forums for my different hobbies, and I haven't been active on any of them during this time. It's easy to get sidetracked and forget about things when they're not on your mind...

I just came off a 6 year slump in November. One of the main reasons was that we subdivided our property and built a house. The new house included a dedicated brew space and it still took over three years to get up and brewing again. It doesn't sound like it will take you that long. :mug:

I hope not! But who knows, I'm great at procrastination!

There's been a few points, once when moving, and a few times the wife went on the dole when we didn't have any savings built up that I had to take a break for a couple months. But it's only ever been a couple months at a time.

I took 7 years off at one point. Life happened. Only advice I would give is to keep the first couple of brews simple. Minimize brew time and quick turnaround.

Currently in a little slump of my own. Empty bottles piling up, and nothing in the fermenters. Kids go back to college next weekend, after a long winter break. I plan on making 3x6 gallon brews in 3 weeks to get the supply line going. Not sure that will be enough.

There's been a few points, once when moving, and a few times the wife went on the dole when we didn't have any savings built up that I had to take a break for a couple months. But it's only ever been a couple months at a time.

I actually took off two years before... But that was after doing my first two brews. I bought three extract kits. I wasn't happy with the final product of the first two, and lost interest in brewing. Then two years later, I was cleaning out my basement and found a dunkelweizen that had been in secondary for two years. The air lock was dry, and it had turned to vinegar. But, for whatever reason, this sparked my interest to try brewing again... and instead of buying another extract kit, I made the move to AG brewing, and then never had more than a month off until this point.

I took 7 years off at one point. Life happened. Only advice I would give is to keep the first couple of brews simple. Minimize brew time and quick turnaround.

Currently in a little slump of my own. Empty bottles piling up, and nothing in the fermenters. Kids go back to college next weekend, after a long winter break. I plan on making 3x6 gallon brews in 3 weeks to get the supply line going. Not sure that will be enough.

Once I get started, I'm going to need to do a few brews in short succession to get the pipeline back up and running too. I have a four tap kegerator, and it just pains me to have an empty tap... So hopefully that'll be more motivation to keep the pipeline full.

@max384 Good to see you back on the forum! Yeah man I just moved too and my new house has a dedicated brewery in it fully set up and ready to brew. I just have to finish up my electric controller for my boil kettle and I am ready to go. Its been WAY too long. If I didn't brew at the store once a month I wouldn't be brewing at all. I am in a slump too! Lets dig out of it together brotha' I will commit to finishing the controller and kettle in 30 days and get a batch done! I'll be your wingman!

Cheers
Jay

And over this last half year, I've come to realize that craft beer is expensive! It had been a couple years since I had last bought commercial beer outside of a brewery or restaurant, since I nearly exclusively drank what I brewed. I started doing some math, and very quickly came to the conclusion that my brewery has paid for itself many times over by now.

Amen Brother!...if it was only 2 or 3.00 a six pack, Id get into a brewing slump myself..:D

I'm in a slump right now as well. I took an entire month off when my son was born in October, and managed to brew once. I felt like that was a victory, because obviously having a baby (and a toddler, and a post partum wife) takes up a lot of time, and kills any sleep.

But since that batch, I've not even kegged it. It's been sitting in my fermentation chamber cold for months now. First the baby, then Thanksgiving and then Christmas, then I transitioned to a new position at work. Each weekend seems to be simply recovering from the week before - cooking, cleaning, etc. Not to mention El Niño has killed the few times I had a chance to brew with some intense rain.

At least we're sleeping pretty well! This little baby is a pretty awesome sleeper.

@max384 Good to see you back on the forum! Yeah man I just moved too and my new house has a dedicated brewery in it fully set up and ready to brew. I just have to finish up my electric controller for my boil kettle and I am ready to go. Its been WAY too long. If I didn't brew at the store once a month I wouldn't be brewing at all. I am in a slump too! Lets dig out of it together brotha' I will commit to finishing the controller and kettle in 30 days and get a batch done! I'll be your wingman!

Cheers
Jay

All right! It's on! If you're committing to finishing the controller and kettle in 30 days, I'll commit to getting a batch done this weekend!

Oh, and got pics of your new dedicated brewery? :ban:

Amen Brother!...if it was only 2 or 3.00 a six pack, Id get into a brewing slump myself..:D

Tell me about it! Around here, a mixed six pack goes for $12. I assume this is pretty standard most places in the US?

I'm in a slump right now as well. I took an entire month off when my son was born in October, and managed to brew once. I felt like that was a victory, because obviously having a baby (and a toddler, and a post partum wife) takes up a lot of time, and kills any sleep.

But since that batch, I've not even kegged it. It's been sitting in my fermentation chamber cold for months now. First the baby, then Thanksgiving and then Christmas, then I transitioned to a new position at work. Each weekend seems to be simply recovering from the week before - cooking, cleaning, etc. Not to mention El Niño has killed the few times I had a chance to brew with some intense rain.

At least we're sleeping pretty well! This little baby is a pretty awesome sleeper.

I didn't mention, but I've got a batch in primary since July... and it's not the best style to age either - a hefe. It can't be good to sit on the yeast cake that long. Instead of transferring it to a keg, I just packed the fermenter onto the moving truck... Probably not the best move. lol. When I do my first brew after my break, I'll taste it and keg it... But I don't have high hopes.

That's awesome that your kid is a good sleeper. Like any parent, I've had many sleepless nights, but my kids have both been great sleepers as infants. I've got a teenager and preteen, so I'm a bit far removed from that age at this point.

This is exactly what BIAB is made for imo. Brewing time was getting super limited for me because of kids and home responsibilities. I have a fully custom welded spike kettle 3 vessel system that I am very slowly trying to set up for electric but reality is right now I can't dedicate 6-8 hours to a brew day 2 times a month on that system. I picked up a wilser bag just to try biab out and I can finish a 2.5g-6g brewday in the time it takes to watch the Jaguars crap the bed on Sunday. I will often do a 90m mash and get the yard mowed or some other house stuff done come back get the boil going and then find something else to get done. Cleanup is literally dumping grains in my neighbors yards rinsing out the bag and the washing the kettle. Takes less time to clean up biab than it does just to get the grain out of my jaybird false bottom.

This is exactly what BIAB is made for imo. Brewing time was getting super limited for me because of kids and home responsibilities. I have a fully custom welded spike kettle 3 vessel system that I am very slowly trying to set up for electric but reality is right now I can't dedicate 6-8 hours to a brew day 2 times a month on that system. I picked up a wilser bag just to try biab out and I can finish a 2.5g-6g brewday in the time it takes to watch the Jaguars crap the bed on Sunday. I will often do a 90m mash and get the yard mowed or some other house stuff done come back get the boil going and then find something else to get done. Cleanup is literally dumping grains in my neighbors yards rinsing out the bag and the washing the kettle. Takes less time to clean up biab than it does just to get the grain out of my jaybird false bottom.

It usually takes me about 4-5 hours to do a batch. I've often thought about trying BIAB... But I've got my process dialed in on my equipment and like the process too much to do BIAB.

I moved about a year and a half ago and it was 9 months before I brewed in my new house and then life happens and I was only able to brew a few10 gallon batches. It happens you'll get through it and get back on the horse. Good luck on your upcoming brew.

This is SLIGHTLY more like it...LOL

The first picture is of the 2 30 amp circuits I ran in the brewery a couple months ago getting ready for the electric boil kettle. I have been running electric HLT for 12-14 years.

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20151004_174931637.jpg

IMG_20150506_195844070_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150506_195835261_HDR.jpg

The other side. Its about 100% filled right now. I have my fermenting fridge in there and my 80 gallon wine fermenter as well. I was able to fill it up fairly quickly..LOL

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20150506_195850773.jpg

Great looking brewery! My brewery will be in my garage. I've been debating going electric for a couple of years. If I do, I'll probably dedicate a room in my basement to the brewery. However, in the meantime while I'm still using propane, the garage it is!

I am also suffering from a slump. I've only brewed once since last spring. Hot summer, new baby, and new house have eliminated any energy and free time I used to enjoy. I'll be brewing outside at the new house but I've been tossing around the idea of building a brewing station in the garage. It's not a high priority so I'm not getting my hopes up. I keep getting the urge to sell off all my equipment, keezer, kegs, ferm fridge, etc to just get it out of my way. Evil thoughts.

I'm getting out of a slump finally. I think it was August of 2014 through December 2015 I didn't brew. Due to moving from a rented house to a bought condo. I had built up my system to do 10 gallons by the start of my slump but its just not possible in my condo. I pulled out my 1 gallon setup that I got started on and have been brewing steady the last couple months. Albeit small brews, but 1 gallon is better than no gallons.

Howdy Max! Rhetorik from SBN here.

I'm also in a slump, but it's not entirely intentional. Haven't brewed in many months - was out of town for 7 weeks for work, then one month after I came back I broke my ankle and was on crutches for 3.5 months. Finally started walking again 1.5 months ago, so now I'm setting up my equipment (and buying some new stuff) at my new apartment. Hope to be brewing soon!

I was forced into a homebrewing slump from a 4 month period in the hospital, nursing center, and then at my parents in a wheelchair and it drove me insane. When they drove me back 14hrs to my place, I already had a yeast starter I was periodically shaking in the backseat.

Nothing will keep me from brewing

I am also suffering from a slump. I've only brewed once since last spring. Hot summer, new baby, and new house have eliminated any energy and free time I used to enjoy. I'll be brewing outside at the new house but I've been tossing around the idea of building a brewing station in the garage. It's not a high priority so I'm not getting my hopes up. I keep getting the urge to sell off all my equipment, keezer, kegs, ferm fridge, etc to just get it out of my way. Evil thoughts.

Seems like kids and moving are a common stumbling point here...

Fight the urge to sell your equipment! Definitely evil thoughts!

I'm getting out of a slump finally. I think it was August of 2014 through December 2015 I didn't brew. Due to moving from a rented house to a bought condo. I had built up my system to do 10 gallons by the start of my slump but its just not possible in my condo. I pulled out my 1 gallon setup that I got started on and have been brewing steady the last couple months. Albeit small brews, but 1 gallon is better than no gallons.

Small brews are way better than no brews!

Howdy Max! Rhetorik from SBN here.

I'm also in a slump, but it's not entirely intentional. Haven't brewed in many months - was out of town for 7 weeks for work, then one month after I came back I broke my ankle and was on crutches for 3.5 months. Finally started walking again 1.5 months ago, so now I'm setting up my equipment (and buying some new stuff) at my new apartment. Hope to be brewing soon!

Hey buddy! Do you post much at SBN any longer? I had a bit of a falling out and haven't post in probably a year or two now. Just not the same forum it used to be when I joined.

How did you break your ankle? Bike related?

Good luck in getting your brewery back up and running!

I was forced into a homebrewing slump from a 4 month period in the hospital, nursing center, and then at my parents in a wheelchair and it drove me insane. When they drove me back 14hrs to my place, I already had a yeast starter I was periodically shaking in the backseat.

Nothing will keep me from brewing

Ha! Awesome! (the starter on the ride back, not the illness/injury, of course)

How long were you out of commission for in total?

Hey buddy! Do you post much at SBN any longer? I had a bit of a falling out and haven't post in probably a year or two now. Just not the same forum it used to be when I joined.

How did you break your ankle? Bike related?

Good luck in getting your brewery back up and running!

Nope, that forum is sadly a ghost town now. My last post was in November, and there were weeks in between posts prior to that. Ah well, I reached my goal of getting over 10k posts...

Ankle was from hockey. Non contact, men's league, summer hockey. Sigh. Metal plate and ten screws later... it's been a journey. Still working on strengthening/flexibility at this point. Hope to be at 90%+ functionality by April. Barely got any seat time on the SF848 last year. I'm depressed about it.

And thank you! I just need a couple more pieces to be at 100%: a grain mill so I can grind at home, and some perforated metal plate and silicone tubing to upgrade my mash tun. Then it's off to the races.

How have things been on your end? Busy from the sounds of things! Still riding?

Ha! Awesome! (the starter on the ride back, not the illness/injury, of course)

How long were you out of commission for in total?
It was a bit over 4 months, starting in mid January. All my friends took care of my apartment my cleaning out my fridge and stuff. They dumped 5 batches of beer down the drain though because they thought it would "build pressure and explode"....sad face

Nope, that forum is sadly a ghost town now. My last post was in November, and there were weeks in between posts prior to that. Ah well, I reached my goal of getting over 10k posts...

Ankle was from hockey. Non contact, men's league, summer hockey. Sigh. Metal plate and ten screws later... it's been a journey. Still working on strengthening/flexibility at this point. Hope to be at 90%+ functionality by April. Barely got any seat time on the SF848 last year. I'm depressed about it.

And thank you! I just need a couple more pieces to be at 100%: a grain mill so I can grind at home, and some perforated metal plate and silicone tubing to upgrade my mash tun. Then it's off to the races.

How have things been on your end? Busy from the sounds of things! Still riding?

Unfortunately, that forum is a case of not enough moderation (which isn't something you'd normally hear me say). There was just too much trolling and negativity by the same few members that never was dealt with. It got to be more of a chore than a leisure to post there, so I quit posting.

That sucks about the ankle... and not much seat time on your bike. With work and moving, and a few bike repairs, I only did about 1/3 the mileage this year that I normally average. I'm hoping next year will be better.

Milling my own grain was probably one of the best upgrades I did for my brewery. The LHBS crush just wasn't good enough to get anywhere near decent efficiency.

Things are good here. Graduated school. Started working. Got married. Bought a new house. All good things... But all things that take time away from my hobbies...

It was a bit over 4 months, starting in mid January. All my friends took care of my apartment my cleaning out my fridge and stuff. They dumped 5 batches of beer down the drain though because they thought it would "build pressure and explode"....sad face

That sucks about the beer! At least they meant well...

Although knowing my friends, they would also "dump" five batches "down the drain." lol

Im in a slump, I havnt brewed in over 6 months. I'm trying to get 10 gallon batches perfected. the 5 gallon, just doesnt seem worth the time. Space is an issue too, I'm running out of space in my house.

Starting a new job soon after 12 years, so i think I should get a simple 10 gallon in the fermentor!

Back