Homebrewing saved me over $1000 in 2015!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pooping at home costs me money as I could be doing it on the clock at work instead. Oh how I try.
Yup. Counts as extra vacation time, ya know.

2693193768_bd2f20a087_b-18418.jpg

2692381919_0da0ec2baa_b-36763.jpg

That one. Not counting labor.
That's pretty awesome. Does it have a urinal?
I got laid off from my job last week.

I'm so lucky, I'm now saving $40 a week in gas!!

Look at me making money!!!!!!
Sweet! Now you can brew more.

A sole prop would not be what you use for any manufacturing plant, especially one making alcohol. And labor cost is an expense against profit and is included in most business plan projection ratios. Your lender is going to look at you like a dog with a new pan if you explain you don't have labor costs.

And I need a lender why? We are talking homebrewing saving money over store bought. The accounting is what I'm getting at. Owner labor doesn't factor into it. Any income the business makes is what the owner makes. That's the point in your time not being a cost. A sole proprietorship is how a homebrewer would be recognized if they could sell without doing anything else.

We should all just take a moment and recognize OP has actually achieved something noteworthy here. He has successfully convinced his WIFE, of all people, that he is saving money by brewing beer! Bravo!

Someone please make a meme: I don't always cook the books, but when I do it's to convince my wife that I'm saving money by homebrewing.

View attachment 339971

I was going to post this exact thing here this morning. Actually its even better, let me paint the scene:

Both of us sit on couch, laptop on my wifes lap, she opens excel document, then she says "look at how much money homebrewing saved us this year"

Me: yeah and think of how much that will be saved over my lifetime! :)

It was so-far the pinnacle of my homebrewing career.

Just curious, what type of keezer does 1k buy you. Pictures please.:):mug:

For about 1K I built what I think is a sweet setup. I'm really space limited so I put two ferm chambers ontop of my keezer, and pump water around for cooling and use fermwraps for heating. There is a little control box on the side using 3 STC1000's for the brains, one for the keezer and one for each chamber. I did a thread on the build on the time.

SAM_1715.jpg

10612701_10101069856316185_6103888651676541785_n (1).jpg

Even insurance can't protect your personal assets in a sole proprietorship. This is where an LLC comes into play for most small business owners. S-Corp is even better, but in an S-Corp you do have to pay yourself a salary.

The other two only provide personal protection to a point (business debts, lawsuits against the business). Negligence from an individual or even employees isn't necessarily covered. Liability insurance is necessary for any of them.

There would be no reason you couldn't form as a sole proprietorship in a one person operation. I'm thinking small brewpub.

Wow - $7 for a SN SIXER! In Singapore, a single bottle from a store (not a bar) would set you back around USD 5.80.

I am quite confident that those of us who brew US-style beers overseas (myself included) save a fairly decent chunk of change by homebrewing vs buying.

I'm in China and that's about what a bottle of SN Pale Ale costs here (now that it's sporadically available in specialty beer shops). Certainly, if I were buying as much American style craft beer in China as I drink, I would be spending way more than I do on brewing (probably 8-10x), but I drank imported beer only sporadically here before I started brewing, so it's not really a fair comparison.

brewing has not saved me money but i dont care. Before i decided i wanted to try brewing i knew nothing about beer aside from the fact that i liked getting drunk and thought making beer might be fun. Since i brewed my first batch two years ago my eyes have been opened to this crazy wonderful world of beer. I have even traveled to Belgium SPECIFICALLY for beer.
I have spent lots of money on equipment, bottle caps, sugar, dms, tubing, hydrometers, grains, hops etc. and I still continue to buy craft beer and interesting beers all the time.
Bottom line is I dont care about saving money one bit. Beer has become a passion of mine and to me its worth spending money on.
If there are people out there brewing because they want to save money, i think that yeah - maybe you can actually save money... but in my opinion that's the worst reason to brew. Brew because it is fun and interesting and rewarding and who cares about $$!

Back