Homebrewing League

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This spring I signed up for a "Homebrewing League" hosted by several supply shops in the big city. This is how it's set up:

4 divisions. One for each shop.

Each Division hosts 8 teams.

Each Team is made up of 4-6 brewers.

Each month a style is submitted and 2 teams within each division goes head to head against each other. The 4 winners go to a BOS where they are re-judged to determine a division winner.

You get points for submitting. You get more points for winning. You get MORE points for BOS wins. End of season these points can be redeemed for prizes from the sponsors.

End of season the top 2 teams from each division go against each other and meet at the supply shop they are sponsored by. They are allowed a short amount of time to plan their recipe together (without notes or cell phones). Their beer is brewed at home. Ingredients are purchased and recorded before they leave.

Final round winners from previous round brew outside the brewery/supply shop (In the winter...) for all the marbles.

There are various main prizes and lots of smaller prizes, although only a few have been mentioned. The big winners will brew at an area brewery on their 15bbl system. Each month the winning team from each division will receive $150 credit at their sponsored store.

I personally like this mode of competition because it forces me to step outside my comfort zone. They purposely choose a few recipes that were somewhat obscure to help ensure that there are some recipes that aren't "house recipes". We can get together and discuss the style of the the month, build recipes together, or separately, brew together or separately. Only a single beer is sent to the judging, so several can brew, and you pick the best one to submit.

There is some camaraderie, although there is also some good-natured trash talking between members on the FB page too.

It's an excuse to visit the judging location, which is a different brewery in town each month. Although team members are not eligible to participate in the judging, they are encouraged to attend and have a good time.

Last edited:
Very cool idea. I would totally be in to something like this in my area. How can you go wrong with brewing beer and trash talking? I am jealous....

Latest posts

Back