Homebrewing -- Does it take too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I give you kudos for actually taking an accounting of the time to see if it's justifiable it to you.

I have friends who are "too busy" to brew or SWMBO won't let them take a 5 hour block, but these are the same guys who change jobs and now have an hour commute each way, or go jogging for an hour every day or something like that.
As others have said, it is largely dependent on your situation. Some women would rather be responsible for raising the kids and just have dad as the enforcer, some think that after 2 days of labor they've had enough of them and dad is responsible for the next 18 years. And the age and nature of the kids changes things too, if they're laid back and want to be like dad so they're willing to sit and watch water boil, or if they mainline sugar and won't sit still for the 10 seconds it takes to pitch a pack of dry yeast.
As long as she's accepting of it and you don't feel like you're short changing your kids then you've got it made. But if you give up your only hobby your kids will eventually realize it. Case in point: what are your parents hobbies? Did they give them all up in order to make you "happier" as a kid? And if so, how does that make you feel now?

And my 12 y/o could probably make his own AG batch by now. Lol

I asked once in my LHBS what they would do if a 15 year old came in buying grain, hops, and yeast. They didn't really have a good answer and they were a little troubled by my philosophical musing.

Well there is no law against selling grain hops and yeast no age limit. Lol I have my 16 year old run to lhbs. For me. She just started driving so any excuse to go run the roads.

Back