Homebrewing Documentary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobwantbeer

Reaction score
I'm in the Chicago land area and I'm taking a Documentary production class. The final project in the class is for everyone to make their own short documentary. The two most important things to consider when selecting a topic are that it's something you're passionate about and practicality. So a documentary about homebrewing is perfect for me. However, I need to add a certain element of story to make it more than an elaborate how-to video. So I decided my buddy and I should make our first attempt at concocting our own recipe, brew it, and take it to a competition. Even though we are novice and will get brewed out of town I thought it was a good idea. So if anyone has ideas, comments, our knows about competitions reasonably close I'd appraciate it.

Sounds like a great idea... I wouldn't get technical or you might confuse a few students but show them the fun part about making beer.

indulge in the history, the people you meet, the interesting characters, the difference in styles.

find someone with a very unique beer who feels passionate about it and interview them on their process. not just mash temperatures, but their brewing rituals.

for instance, before i brew any beer, i not only look up the style guidelines, other recipes, etc, but i talk to people about it...ask them what their favorite for that style is. i try to get my hands on every beer of that style, keep it fresh in my mind...drink it while i'm designing the recipe, drink it while i'm brewing.

it's an art as much as it is a science. concentrate on the art and it will intrigue.

:mug:

Sam Adams long shot competition is advertising all over the TV right now. Would be great as documentary fodder from a couple noobs to brewing competition and a hell of a fun project.

and that's why I love this forum. I'm going to google this sam adams contest right now as I have not heard much about it.

I'm researching some of these competitions in the mid west and I was wondering why all the competitions require the entries be mailed in advance? It's not a big deal but I'm just curious why they don't want people just showing up with a few six packs. If any one knows that would be cool.

Latest posts

Back