Homebrewer gonna go semi-pro!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprouseusnavy

Reaction score
I will be starting a brewpub in the future, and want to know if there are any good books out there that go into detail explaining the larger brewing equipment and how they can be used. I understand there are numerous set-up variations and each brewer will have to ultimately learn their own equipment, just looking for an overview at the least. I've seen the MBAA 3 vol. series, any reviews before throwing $$ down the drain?

Id recommend trying to volunteer at some place with a similar bbl size as what you have in mind. The littlest problems on a homebrew set up can slow you down to a grinding halt on a larger set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Right now I'm living in japan and will be moving back in about 2 years, volunteering not really an option out here

Ok do you plan on opening right when you get back? My advice still stands as you can't really think of all the things that can go wrong when you up your production. For example where I intern at the head brewer increased the dry hopping schedule in a 30bbl tank and it has caused a Ton of problems. The sock gets clogged every 3-5 minutes when trying to transfer to our bottler. The bottler wasn't running smoothly because hop particles were clogging it. This set them back hours and all it took was an additional couple pounds of hops in 1k gallons of beer to mess things up. This is one of millions of things that can go wrong

I'm not trying to dissuade you from your purpose I just think everyone who wants to own a brewery or brew pub should help out at one first.

As for what you can do now is just read, read, read, brew and if your able to go to Tokyo kiuchi brewery puts out some good stuff, take a tour ask some questions

I guess I didn't read properly what your original post said you asked for specific books and things so here are a few

Purely for motivation
Bottling success
Brewing up a business

A work in progress and a successful brewery owner who I believe posts here is crooked run brewery blog. was a good read as he documented what he went through with licensing , his kick starter, his 1 bbl system etc.

The electric brewery
A guide on creating a herms 1 bbl system for smaller brew pubs.

Hope some of those help, none of them are technical but I never plan on owning a brewery so I've never bothered to read the guides.

Thanks for all the advice and help guys! I've been extensively doing research and these links and books will be great help!

And the brewing network just opened up a new plethora of info, how have I missed this??

I'd also recommend the brew strong going pro. There is a lot of info on nano brewing in those episodes

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Back