Homebrew to go!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyboy847

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Is there any way to get a bottle of carbonated homebrew without the sediment? :confused:
I realize you can't carbonate beer without getting the sediment, so what I'm looking for is a (cheap) way to get the already carbonated beer into new bottles leaving the sediment behind. Could I just get a keg and bottle from it?

The beer would be consumed within the day, and I wouldn't mind low carbonation levels as long as they would still be reasonable. It really pisses me off i have to buy commercial beer to parties when I have cases of perfectly good homebrew at home :mad: Cheers!

Use A fining agent. Force carb with keg/CO2. Bottle from keg.

keg then bottle.. That's what I do, although setting up a kegerator isn't exactly cheap, i've never had to bottle condition before.

Why can't you bring your bottle conditioned beer to parties, do they not have glasses? Transport shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't jostle them too much and the beers were chilled for a couple weeks so the sediment is well compacted down. It helps if you have really clear beer going into the bottles so there's just the dusting of yeast from carbonating.

If you leave your beer in the fermenter for a longer period more yeast will settle out there and you will get such a small amount of yeast in the bottle when you carbonate it naturally that it will be hard to see. Try about 8 weeks in the fermenter and see what I mean. My first beers had a quarter inch of yeast in the bottom because I followed the kit instructions to bottle after a week. Longer times mean more yeast settles in the fermenter instead of in the bottle.

I realize you can't carbonate beer without getting the sediment, so what I'm looking for is a (cheap) way to get the already carbonated beer into new bottles leaving the sediment behind. Could I just get a keg and bottle from it?

Opening the bottles and filtering them, then kegging, then re-bottling will certainly run the risk of oxygenating your beer. Not to mention it sounds like a real waste of time just to avoid a little yeast sediment. Kegging your beer first, then bottling is a great way to get clear beer into bottles. Minimizing trub into the fermenter and then the keg also helps.

Personally, I would bring your beer as-is to the party and explain to your friends that you bottle using a natural, time honored, hand crafted, carbonation process that produces a small amount of yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle. If they can't get over that, I'd find new friends :)

Opening the bottles and filtering them, then kegging, then re-bottling will certainly run the risk of oxygenating your beer. Not to mention it sounds like a real waste of time just to avoid a little yeast sediment. Kegging your beer first, then bottling is a great way to get clear beer into bottles. Minimizing trub into the fermenter and then the keg also helps.

Personally, I would bring your beer as-is to the party and explain to your friends that you bottle using a natural, time honored, hand crafted, carbonation process that produces a small amount of yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle. If they can't get over that, I'd find new friends :)

Or, you could not have them drink your beer...

Back