Homebrew Talk 3D Print Thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Hoppy2bmerry

My hop trellis brings the boys to the yard.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love this thread. Very inspirational and reminds me that there are so many uses in our hobby for custom items. Here is a Carb-cap wrench I made. Super-simple, but I was having trouble unscrewing these things by hand.

edit: I have been printing for 4 years, Ender 2 v2, Openscad, Cura.
Bravo! I needed a wrench for a 1/2 gallon U-keg… I had to resort to asking a body builder for help to release the cap!

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it's just the price jump thats getting me. Especially for a complete beginner.
Buy once, cry once.

There's nothing wrong with the others for their price point. What you are paying for is a printer that doesn't require you to know everything about printers. The Prusa will however, not shield you from everything, allowing you to learn at your pace. You *can* tinker, you just don't *have* to.

GoeHaarden

The best advice is unsolicited
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Buy once, cry once.

There's nothing wrong with the others for their price point. What you are paying for is a printer that doesn't require you to know everything about printers. The Prusa will however, not shield you from everything, allowing you to learn at your pace. You *can* tinker, you just don't *have* to.

Well put. I think the peace of mind and knowing that it's going to work is worth a premium. Plus, having tech support/development and warranty as well. I think it's only a matter of when I buy this thing now.

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it's just the price jump thats getting me. Especially for a complete beginner.

Honestly, being a complete beginner is the best reason to go Prusa. Most of the upgrades that Prusa provides are directed at being able to consistently get quality prints. Cheaper designs don't incorporate things like the extruded aluminum bars that stiffen the X and Y axes, resulting in the need to spend additional hours calibrating in order to get workable prints.

Given enough time and energy you can absolutely calibrate lower end printers and get prints that are of a quality matching Prusa's -- but it will take effort.

GoeHaarden

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, being a complete beginner is the best reason to go Prusa. Most of the upgrades that Prusa provides are directed at being able to consistently get quality prints. Cheaper designs don't incorporate things like the extruded aluminum bars that stiffen the X and Y axes, resulting in the need to spend additional hours calibrating in order to get workable prints.

Given enough time and energy you can absolutely calibrate lower end printers and get prints that are of a quality matching Prusa's -- but it will take effort.

Yeah, as I get older I've started to value my free time much more and having a unit that just works is worth a little extra dough. I've made some brewing purchase mistakes over the last decade and I've learned. Ooh have I learned.

That being said, I'm probably going to post a pic of that cute little boat printed by a Prusa in the up coming months.

Thanks for the push and reassurances, but I knew I was doomed even asking you all...😉

NitrogenWidget

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

I agree.
someone who doesn't have any back ground with electronics or automated machines should probably buy a more well known brand simply for the support.
but once you can swap parts, calibrate e-steps and understand how it works you can buy a much cheaper printer and get the same results as the expensive one.
most are built off the same opensource designs.

i don't have prusia's i've bought a few Anycubics.
the Chiron and the vyper.
not exactly cheap machines but my primary support was FaceBook groups because anycubics support is hit and miss.
but now i'm pretty good and can make a cheapie print well with a few upgrades.

GoeHaarden

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay peeps. So I just pre-ordered the Prusa XL...

No, unfortunately not actually. On a serious note. What do you recommend, if anything, to order with the Prusa? Not trying to pay shipping twice...

I'm going to do a textured print surface, and probably a roll of the PETG. Any other recommendations? Should I get another nozzle?

How does their filament compare to others?

Does anyone else find it annoying that he puts "Prusa" on everything?

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Nah, if I were smart enough to have done that, my name would be embedded in the print bed. :)

Get a roll each of the black and orange Prusament. At some point you will want to add on or replace parts and their orange especially is hard to match. Maybe get both print sheets so you don’t wish you got the other one. That’s about all I can think of.

Their filament is very good, but there are other food filaments out there. I like the Microcenter filament if you have one near you.

Deric

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had this regulator for years. Finally got tired of looking for a screwdriver every time I wanted to adjust it…

Knob for CO2 regulator

Attachments

• 9350A35E-0CFE-4F3C-8842-E16355BA6ECF.jpeg
    9350A35E-0CFE-4F3C-8842-E16355BA6ECF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 4F60AE19-78D4-429B-83A7-073776DFDB6B.jpeg
    4F60AE19-78D4-429B-83A7-073776DFDB6B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 25FCF6EA-F7A0-465F-B0A3-205AACEC9BD5.jpeg
    25FCF6EA-F7A0-465F-B0A3-205AACEC9BD5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 240AE9DF-39C0-45EA-A513-417069D18250.jpeg