Homebrew not getting me drunk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beno1

Reaction score
CAn anyone explian to me why my homebrew beer doesnt get me as drunk as commercial beer does. The last 4 or so batches of pale ale, dark ale and lager have all ranged from 4.5% up to 6.5% abv but i have to drink about 6 beers before i feel anything. If i had 6 commercial beers id feel the affects a lot more

So i have a SG of 1062 and a FG 1012 .. Work it out... I drink and drink and drink and dont feel much at all. if i drink the same amount of a commercial beer with a lower abv of say 4.5 i will feel drunk. For some reason its just the homebrew doesnt have the same effects as commercial beer

I dont have a drinking problem no but i do enjoy drinking beer on weekends a a couple during the week. I love the home brew but qould lime a lil more kick out of it ive tried higher abv home brews and they just dont do the same thing as a commercial beer. When i drink commercial beer its usually coopers pale ale which is 4.5

Make sure youre correcting for temp on your readings. Or drink more if your goal is to get drunk.

CAn anyone explian to me why my homebrew beer doesnt get me as drunk as commercial beer does. The last 4 or so batches of pale ale, dark ale and lager have all ranged from 4.5% up to 6.5% abv but i have to drink about 6 beers before i feel anything. If i had 6 commercial beers id feel the affects a lot more

You're becoming an alcoholic. Enjoy!

I would hazard the guess that your homebrew has more flavor, so you drink it more slowly. Since your system is constantly processing the alcohol, your actual blood alcohol level is actually lower at any given moment.

I usually up my abv target for more flavorful stuff so it has the right amount of kick for how long it usually takes me to drink it.

Another possible reason is liquid volume. Most homebrew has yeast in the bottom of the bottle, so you have part of each beer your not drinking. Commercial beer is filtered, so you drink the whole thing.

You could always spike your homebrew with a little vodka or everclear if you want to get :tank:

Homebrewed beer is also high in B complex vitamins from the yeast which helps the body processes alcohol more efficiently.

If the goal is just to get drunk home brewing seems like a lot o trouble to go though. Get a case of swill and bring on the coma.

If you are drinking it quite cold, your stomach will absorb the alcohol more slowly.
I agree that you may be taking more time to enjoy a pint of your own creation. I do.
So, drink it a little warmer and on an empty belly.

Back