Homebrew law

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThebrewdawG

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but since most of us end up here anyway,
Has anyone ever read or seen the legislation where homebrewing became law? I know it was Jimmy and I know it was the 70's. I'm thinking it'd be cool to have that framed and mounted on my brewshop wall. As a bonus SWMBO would belive me when I tell her I'm not going to jail for boot legging!:(

Homebrew Law:

You MUST brew.

That's my law!

Let's make our own HBT brewing law, could be fun.
A bit like a HBT declaration?
  • You MUST brew.
  • You must drink at least 1 Home brew whilst brewing
  • If you do not drink Homebrew then you must drink four commercial craft beers
  • BMC must never be drunk or even looked at whilst brewing.
  • Any brew created whilst drinking more than 6 homebrews shall only be dranken after 6 other homebrews have been consumed.

You must not worry, relax, and have a homebrew!
You must respect beer (homebrewed and otherwise) and treat it like what it is: Proof that God wants us to be happy.

Revvy said:
I tried to google HR 1337 which became Public Law 95-458, but can't find the actual text. Anyone know of a website that lists all signed laws?
Well there's this, that might get you closer ...

I'd be interested to read the law too.

There are plenty of sites on the interweb that have all of the laws of this country written down. Unfortunately you have to pay for access to most of them, your town or city's public library will most likely have access to these databases, so your best bet is to go there and look them up. I live in boston and if you have a library card you can access these databases from your home computer with the number.

[Edit:
Well, darn. The searches were temporary file builds so the links won't work. I think this one will be good: 95th Congress. Then change the selection from "Word/Phrase" to "Bill Number," then search for the bills below in the format HRXXXX.
]

Start with HR2028 introduced by Barber Conacle:
HR2028: A bill to authorize the home production of beer

and HR 5898 introduced by John Serberling:
HR5898: A bill to authorize the home production of beer and wine

Became part of HR1337: A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 with respect to excise tax on certain trucks, buses, tractors, etcetera.
(Homebrewing is the etcetera)

It was signed into law as Public Law 95-458. What the public law of the 95th congress did was to remove the taxation of homebrew and, since the repeal of prohibition made it legal to make it, from a federal point of view you can brew up to 200 gallons per year with two (or more) adults in the household, 100 gallons per year if one adult in the household.

The states, of course, can still regulate it separately -- and, in my state, it is still illegal.

The above per my understanding; someone can correct any errors.

Rick

Rick_R said:
The states, of course, can still regulate it separately -- and, in my state, it is still illegal.

The above per my understanding; someone can correct any errors.

Rick

So what you do is just make the wort and allow the yeast to "naturally" pitch itself, correct? Nothing illegal there.

Rick_R said:
Actually I'm trying to bake bread but I just keep getting the recipe really, really wrong.

Rick

That's funny! I keep making the very same mistake. Now I've just decided that it'd be worthwhile to perfect a "drinkable bread" recipe...
:rockin:

McKBrew said:
So what you do is just make the wort and allow the yeast to "naturally" pitch itself, correct? Nothing illegal there.

Well, you don't make any alcohol at all. The yeast makes the alcohol, so it's the yeast that are breaking the law. Silly yeast, when will they learn!

beta, they can't help it. They're single celled organisms and not savvy to our complex and draconian fermentation laws.

One of these days I'll learn to refrigerate my Liquid Barley Bread. I keep leaving it at room temperature and it goes bad! :(

Back