Homebrew keg and Camping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike2

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm bringing a keg on a camping trip and would like your opinion's.
So far this is my plan. I'm going to transfer into the keg and purge headspace with co2. The keg will be sitting warm for about a week then iced down to force carbonate at 30 psi for 2-3 days. Drink and enjoy! Do you think this should work? The keg should be fine warm right?

Thanks

I have taken kegs camping several times. Here is my advice.

If you can chill and carb ASAP. This will help clear the beer. Then the day before you leave transfer it to a new keg (under pressure beer out to beer out). That way you leave any sediment and still get clear beer when you get to your site. Even if you can't chill it, look at a chart and carb it at room temp them transfer and go.

I take kegs camping all the time. Are you going to be using a jockey box?
What I do is get the keg as cold as I can at the house and carb it like normal. I pressure the keg to about 5-10# for the trip. I have a tall aluminum pot that came with a outdoor turkey cooker from years ago and I put the keg in there and fill with ice and wrap a life vest around it to insulate as best I can, just to try and keep the keg cool. I do use a jockey box but I also try and keep the beer fairly cool and out of the sun. I only add ice if the beer is getting above 80* or so. It pours through the jockey box just fine. I have had a beer get HOT camping and it poured through the box very well also and tasted just fine.

Cheers
Jay

So by looking at your replies, I should definitely carb the keg before transporting it right? I've never carbed a keg warm. I thought the only way is to carb it cold.

What I'm trying to do is tap the kegs on the fifth day of camping, because the whole group will be there at that time. I go early with a few people. If there's a chance that I'll ruin the beer I'll just keep it cold during transport and tap it the next day. More Beer for me. What do ya think?

So by looking at your replies, I should definitely carb the keg before transporting it right? I've never carbed a keg warm. I thought the only way is to carb it cold.

What I'm trying to do is tap the kegs on the fifth day of camping, because the whole group will be there at that time. I go early with a few people. If there's a chance that I'll ruin the beer I'll just keep it cold during transport and tap it the next day. More Beer for me. What do ya think?

You can carb it warm it just takes more pressure. Some popular charts stop around 50-60 but there are charts that go up to the 70 and 80's.

edit: here's one that goes to 82f

!!!c02.jpg

Ok, so I'm a beginner with the kegs. What I've been doing is getting the keg cold then filling the keg with 30psi once a day for 3 days. Then dropping the pressure to 8psi. So far so good. So if its warm (78 degrees) And I want 2.0 carb I would hold it at 27psi? Same amount of time?
Thanks

Back