Homebrew health question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
I don't mean to be gross or inappropriate but since I've started using water additions I seem to get the runs after drinking my homebrew. I use one campden tab and 30 ml of phosphoric acid 10% in a five gallon batch. I seem to recall discussion of this somewhere but can't find it. Is this common? Does anyone know if either of those substances has this effect?

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but if it were me I would certainly try a batch without one or the other, or both. That would help test my theory. Campden kills bacteria so I am unsure if that would be something you're more sensitive to or if it is the phosphoric acid. I think that is found in Coke as well and you could be sensitive to that. It's really a crap shoot and this is more or less a question that maybe you should ask your doctor. Is it just one homebrew and you're done for or is it a few? After a few too many homebrews I know that things are little different for me, if you catch my drift. I know that it is common because typically we're not filtering the beer and there is more yeast floating, even after days or even weeks in the fridge.

Simply put, I'd do two things; brew without both of those (use spring bottled water if your tap water is too poor to brew) and see a doctor. If you really want to test theories you can brew a gallon with campden and without the phosphoric and then another gallon without campden but with phosphoric. See how you fair. Again, it could be a sensitivity or you could even be just coming down with something.

Haha... After doing a little research I've decided this has nothing to do with water additions. Its just yeast. I took a break from brewing for a while and when I came back I became a bit more serious with my methods so I figured that had something to do with it but I just forgot about the high yeast content of homebrew and its effects on the bowels.

We'll I get the beer ****s and farts only when I drink to much of my home brew.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Since we're far into the TMI region already, my lower system is rock solid no matter how much homebrew I drink. Unfiltered wheat beers, bring it. Cloudy DIPA's, no prob. Maybe its an adjustment thing, I have been homebrewing for 3 years now.

Apple a day and plenty O' fiber. Regular as a clock ;) I'm way way off topic now, but that statement kind of reminds me of Road to Wellville.

Solbes: Your list of brews and wines is impressive. I share your experience of having a comfortable GI tract from homebrew but if I had your inventory, I would be more worried about my live.

Solbes: Your list of brews and wines is impressive. I share your experience of having a comfortable GI tract from homebrew but if I had your inventory, I would be more worried about my live.

Eh, during the week its really 1 and done. Might have 3-6 on a weekend night if we're not going anywhere. Most of those beers/wines in bottles are slowly drank over a year or two.

Back