Homebrew & Hangovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilvaRizla

Reaction score
My girlfriend (Who never drinks anything unless its fizzy and fluroescent) has finally plucked up the courage to drink my brew, but she gets hangovers.

I have heard this doesn't really happen with homebrew, (I never get them so I can't advise) can anyody comment?

Thanks

Silva

Ahhhhh,

The ole you don't get a hangover by drinking homebrew myth....There are two main things which scientists have found contribute to a hangover : Dehydration and depletion of Vitamin B12. Well, as it turns out, brewers' yeast is a veritable factory for Vitamin B12, and since the vast majority of homebrew does not have the yeast filtered out like commercial beer does, homebrew helps combat hangovers. Note...helps combat hangovers, does not prevent them.

loop

yes, i get hangover from my homebrew..... wow i got a bad one! But it is so worth it. and it plays hell on my insides too.. :D

I've never had a hangover from MY homebrew. But then again, I haven't had a HO for over 25 years, including my Greek Ouzo binges (not really binges, but there's something about being on a Greek island and eating Greek food and ouzo that just seems like paradise).

The trick is to re-hydrate yourself PRIOR to going to sleep. (Something to this effect has already been stated, and I have proven it out).

Drink water! :D

Same goes for the B12. That's why my favorite beer, OK, the flavor has a lot to do with it), is Hefe Weizen. :D

okie dokie, well it turns out she didn't get one, this is probably because of the B12 thing and becasue she was clearing her palette with juice after every sip (not quite used to it yet), so I suppose that could be why.

If it plays havock with your insides I suggest something isn't quite right maybe?

I get a nice warm tingly feeling from mine mmmm

When I made my first batch of beer, I made a starter kit called bear tooth stout. My buddy and I drank about 15 beers each and the next afternoon (slept through the morning) felt like Hell. It was personally the worst hangover I've ever had. My friend said it was his too and he went on to say it was even worse then a hangover. He blamed my brew and me.

The key is to drink plenty of water amongst all the beer. I can't tell you how many times I've woke up after a night of drinking wine, and I can't drink enough water to get myself rehydrated. Dehydration and alcohol make you feel miserable.

I've been very fortunate. I have yet to get a hangover from my beer. I've woke up feeling a bit foggy, and parched, but never... NEVER like what I've had with wine, Jaegermiester, 151 rum, Rumplemintz, etc.

I agree with HB99, the secret is to drink a good amount of good old H2O before you retire to rehydrate yourself. When I do get hangovers it is usually because I was so drunk the night before that I forgot to follow my own advice.

2nd Street Brewery said:
I agree with HB99, the secret is to drink a good amount of good old H2O before you retire to rehydrate yourself. When I do get hangovers it is usually because I was so drunk the night before that I forgot to follow my own advice.

With the water, I also take a B12 vitamin before going to bed. Eat salty foods while drinking if you have the opportunity which aides in water retention. Knew a russian guy who said when they'd go out on a vodka binge they'd have those large pickles in a jar that they be munching on throughout the night for the salt. Interesting and works (salt that is). 2nd, I agree I'm my own worst enemy if I forget these tips :(

Not an expert here but I did go to medical school. B12 should not be your problem with hangovers. If you eat a proper diet your body's b12 reserves should last for months. Dehydration is the primary problem. Drink plenty of water with your brew and the hangover problem will be much less.

andre the giant said:
The key is to drink plenty of water amongst all the beer. I can't tell you how many times I've woke up after a night of drinking wine, and I can't drink enough water to get myself rehydrated. Dehydration and alcohol make you feel miserable.

I've been very fortunate. I have yet to get a hangover from my beer. I've woke up feeling a bit foggy, and parched, but never... NEVER like what I've had with wine, Jaegermiester, 151 rum, Rumplemintz, etc.

Good ol jaeger!!!! but yea, stock up on h2o before and no probs. The thing is with play havoc with ur insides is if u drink some premature stuff the yeast still reacts on the stuff inside your stomach!!!! mmmm smelly!!!

Back