Homebrew equipment to the rescue!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
I went downstairs yesterday to find my washing machine running and my basement floor covered in water. After shutting it down and vacuuming up most of the water, I had to move the machine to get behind it. Can't move it - the tub is full to the tippy top with water and clothes.

Good thing I've got all these buckets and siphon hoses around! I got to rack wash water 5 gallons at a time. How long should it stay in the secondary, do you think?

Good news is I fixed the washing machine without hurting myself too badly :) In case anyone has a problem where water is mysteriously coming out the bottom of your machine and the tub appears to be overfull, look at the back of your washer. Mine has a window in the sheet metal where you can see a plastic nipple on the back of the tub. That nipple should be connected to a rubber/silicone hose that goes to the water level sensor. Mine had fallen off.

So not only was water pissing out that nipple, but the tub was overflowing since the washer didn't know it was full.

-Joe

Well done!

When my water heater failed a few months ago, my brewing gear came in handy as well. For the few days until I had time to install the replacement, my HLT became my kitchen water heater. Furthermore, I filled my small MLT cooler with hot water for use upstairs. You never fully appreciate hot water until you don't have any, but at least my beer equipment partially filled the void.

See, I'll say it again, we homebrewers will be really well prepared when the coming zombi-pocalypse arrives, and society cease to exist as we know it...like when the zombies eat all the people over at the water treatment and electric plant....When the water goes bad, we'll be providing nutritious "barley water" to the masses willing to trade nubile slave girls for healthy boiled water and liquid bread.

Just like in colonial times.
:D

Back in December, I was without power (almost all electric house) for 6 days. So, I was cooking on the homebrew gear, burning scrap wood in the insert and, (happy, happy) enjoying hot showers. 100 gallons of propane and only the water heater was working.

Someone needs to do a write up or book about how homebrewing equipment can be used for emergency situations. It'd be a great book to buy and leave laying around for the SWMBO to read.

"Why do you need......" She asks.

"Well, if you look at page 34 of Revvy's book, you'll see how that expensive piece of copper and stainless steel could be used in case of a volcanic eruption." You respond.

"But we live on the east coast, honey" She counters

"Yes Dear, and while the possibility of a volcanic eruption is minimal, are you willing to risk your life or comfort, when a few hundred bucks could protect us all." You justify.

Hopefully she'll initiate the next conversation.

"Honey, what in that book will protect us from flooding, that you don't have already?"

"Well, baby take a look at page 86 and 107."

Someone needs to do a write up or book about how homebrewing equipment can be used for emergency situations. It'd be a great book to buy and leave laying around for the SWMBO to read.

Excellent idea. "Honey, if you still want to take baths after our civilization breaks down, I'm gonna need that matching trio of 40 gallon Blichmanns! It's all on page 92."

Someone needs to do a write up or book about how homebrewing equipment can be used for emergency situations.

I have already started storyboarding the PBS Series and 2 Hour Pledge Drive special. Better get a haircut Revvy. :rockin:

Good thing I've got all these buckets and siphon hoses around! I got to rack wash water 5 gallons at a time. How long should it stay in the secondary, do you think?

you'll get all kinds of differing opinions on wash water. in my experience, 10 days is usually good. any more than that and you risk a 'soapy' taste... a key thing is to sanitize.

Back