Homebrew competition legal again in Oregon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, Oregonians! :mug:

I imagine in other states the legislators wouldn't care enough to even address such an issue. You are lucky to be in a state that has such a massive craft beer following.

Congrats, Oregonians! :mug:

I imagine in other states the legislators wouldn't care enough to even address such an issue. You are lucky to be in a state that has such a massive craft beer following.

Many states already allow homebrewers to gift and/or relocate their beer. Michigan is trying to allow Homebrew clubs the ability to have tastings at brewpubs, with owners permission. It's currently not legal to drink homebrew in a brewpub.

Many states already allow homebrewers to gift and/or relocate their beer. Michigan is trying to allow Homebrew clubs the ability to have tastings at brewpubs, with owners permission. It's currently not legal to drink homebrew in a brewpub.

Luckily, it's not a problem in this state either. But if it was, it would never get overturned. No one would give a darn. Fortunately, no one gives a darn what we do anyway. It is a pretty "free" state. I'm not complaining. :D

Luckily, it's not a problem in this state either. But if it was, it would never get overturned. No one would give a darn. Fortunately, no one gives a darn what we do anyway. It is a pretty "free" state. I'm not complaining. :D

So I've heard. I'd like to have that same feeling where I am, but thank GOD I'm not in CA!!

What the heck? I went to a homebrew competition in Eugene back in 1995 or so... it was obviously made illegal since then, but WHEN? What year?

What the heck? I went to a homebrew competition in Eugene back in 1995 or so... it was obviously made illegal since then, but WHEN? What year?
This has only been an issue for the last year, but technically it was illegal back in '95. All is fixed :D

This has only been an issue for the last year, but technically it was illegal back in '95. All is fixed :D

It wasn't even like the law was changed. The original statute that allowed homebrewing was written in a very vague manner, and basically was reinterpreted to mean "homebrew = brew for your own HOME, nowhere else."

EDIT:

Here's the existing statute:

PROHIBITIONS RELATING TO LIQUOR
471.403 License required to produce alcoholic liquor; exception. (1) No person shall brew, ferment, distill, blend or rectify any alcoholic liquor unless licensed so to do by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission. However, the Liquor Control Act does not apply to the making or keeping of naturally fermented wines and fruit juices or beer in the home, for home consumption and not for sale.

The re-interpretation put the emphasis on "home" and basically said that homebrew literally had to stay at your residence.

It wasn't even like the law was changed. The original statute that allowed homebrewing was written in a very vague manner, and basically was reinterpreted to mean "homebrew = brew for your own HOME, nowhere else."

EDIT:

Here's the existing statute:

The re-interpretation put the emphasis on "home" and basically said that homebrew literally had to stay at your residence.

It's not an interpretation issue. "For home consumption" is crystal clear.

There's nothing crystal clear about that at all. Does "home consumption" mean that I can only drink it at my home, or can I bring a growler over to yours? It also was clearly not the intent of the lawmakers for the law to be written that way, as until last summer it was never interpreted or enforced to mean that things like homebrew comps were not allowed.

In any case, good to see that they moved pretty quickly to fix the law.

Homebrew competitions are generally not judged in anybody's home, so it doesn't really matter which home the law meant. That law was decades old, how various government agencies enforced it in recent years says nothing about the intent of retired or dead legislators. It seems likely that the relevant agencies were unaware of the law as the swiftly interpreted it to exclude competitions when asked to render an interpretation.

Back