Homebrew competition category questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpsterboy

Reaction score
I am entering an American IPA in my first competition. Could someone please explain what the:
1. Style Number and Letter
2. BJCP Category
3. Sub Category
4. Classic Style

I am guessing the style # and letter is 14B,
The BJCP Category and subcategory I am not totally sure,
I would guess the classic style is American IPA.

Any help would be appreciated.

1. 14B
2. 14 - India Pale Ale
3. B - American IPA
4. Bell's Two-Hearted Ale (among others)

I'm not sure why you are having to provide so much information. Usually, when you enter a competition you are asked for the BJCP Category and the Sub-Category. That's it. What comp are you entering? (Out of curiosity.)

Thanks for the help. It is a Brew Bash here in Buffalo, NY. It is a small competition--just IPA's and Porters actually. I figured I'd enter one and see what happens.

"Classic style" is often only necessary for specialty beers, smoked/spiced beers, etc. I.e. if you're making a Smoked Porter, you put it in "Other Smoked Beer" category and under classic style might put "Robust Porter"...

Dumpsterboy said:
Thanks for the help. It is a Brew Bash here in Buffalo, NY. It is a small competition--just IPA's and Porters actually. I figured I'd enter one and see what happens.

It's always good to get feedback!

I'm not sure why you are having to provide so much information. Usually, when you enter a competition you are asked for the BJCP Category and the Sub-Category. That's it. What comp are you entering? (Out of curiosity.)

They usually ask you to spell out the category and subcategory to prevent any categorization errors if your numbers cannot be read that well.

If you brew a beer in the catch-all categories such as 20 through 24 (and a few other cats), you need to list the base style too. If you brew a raspberry porter, you'd enter it in 20 - Fruit Beer and then list the base style as Porter or whatever Porter style it is. Maybe someone can chime in and tell us if you can get away with just Porter or need Brown Porter.

They usually ask you to spell out the category and subcategory to prevent any categorization errors if your numbers cannot be read that well.

If you brew a beer in the catch-all categories such as 20 through 24 (and a few other cats), you need to list the base style too. If you brew a raspberry porter, you'd enter it in 20 - Fruit Beer and then list the base style as Porter or whatever Porter style it is. Maybe someone can chime in and tell us if you can get away with just Porter or need Brown Porter.

I know how comps work. I guess I'm just used to entering online, where handwriting is not an issue.

As for the 'specialty' categories, you don't NEED to specify "Brown Porter", but it does help the judges critique your beer better than if you just said, "Porter". There is a big difference between Brown, Robust & Baltic Porters.

Back