Homebrew club in northern WI/Central UP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think anybody who knows me would not be the least bit surprised to find out that I'm a very outgoing talkative person. I meet people everywhere. I know I mentioned before that I was in a gas station in Spread Eagle, WI and started talking to some guy. Turns out he was a brewer, and attempting to start a homebrew club. I gave him my email address and thought about joining. The problem for me is that's over 50 miles away for me, so it wouldn't really be convenient, but I said I'd join anyway as the token female.

Anyway, I got an email yesterday from the organizer. They need a place for the Feb meeting- so I'm having it at my house! I'm going to brew, and we're going to have a meeting. I'm pretty happy to have found a couple of other semi-local people who brew. THEY have to drive 50 miles each way, but said they don't mind.

So, now, I'm thinking- I get to brew, clean up, feed them, give them beer, etc. That sounds great!

And one of the women I met at a hockey game wants to learn to brew. (I gave her beer between games- she was on the other team). She might be coming over for that, too. She's also about 50 miles away.

Isn't it great how you just meet people with common interests in the most unique places.

Is anybody else in a homebrew club just starting out?

THEY have to drive 50 miles each way, but said they don't mind.

So, now, I'm thinking- I get to brew, clean up, feed them, give them beer, etc.

Sounds like a trade off, but I'd rather drive than clean house. OBC is a 75 minute drive and HoV is 75-90 depending on if it's in Corvallis or Albany.

Yooper that sounds like a great time! What will you brew during the meeting? I think you are really going to like being in a club.

There is a club I could join that is about 15 minutes from here. I really should get off my duff and join.

I hung out with one local homebrew club for a little bit, but they were just kinda old hat for my tastes. Jdoiv from this board then swayed me over to his club and these guys are much cooler.

Homebrew clubs are pretty cool if you find a good one.

RichBrewer said:
Yooper that sounds like a great time! What will you brew during the meeting? I think you are really going to like being in a club.

There is a club I could join that is about 15 minutes from here. I really should get off my duff and join.

Well, I'm not sure. Probably a AB clone, I think. That's easy- only three hops additions, with one at flame out and one at 90 minutes so no one has to think too hard.

I'm excited about it- it should be fun just to meet with and talk with other brewers. I've never brewed with another person before.

YooperBrew said:
Well, I'm not sure. Probably a AB clone, I think. That's easy- only three hops additions, with one at flame out and one at 90 minutes so no one has to think too hard.

I'm excited about it- it should be fun just to meet with and talk with other brewers. I've never brewed with another person before.
Neither have I. Sounds like a lot of fun!

I started a local homebrew club that is actually just my buddies at this point but I hope we could expand for the future. One thing I did that may or may not work for you guys is create a group on one of the many sites that allow for it. We can all post messages and, in general, communicate at our leisure in between get togethers.

Our site is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lincolnland_lagers/

Mine is just a simple, rough concept but it has helped us out as well as being free.

Quote from Yooper
"Well, I'm not sure. Probably a AB clone, I think. That's easy- only three hops additions, with one at flame out and one at 90 minutes so no one has to think too hard.

I'm excited about it- it should be fun just to meet with and talk with other brewers. I've never brewed with another person before."

RichBrewer said:
Neither have I. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Two Mods who never brewed with someone else, WOW!
I did a demo in November and it was a blast, but the nearest club is 80 miles away and tooooooooo far for me to go.

I just found out we have a homebrew club here. It's called BS squared (Big Sioux Brewing Society) They've been up for a little over a year. About 36 members. We meet every 3rd Tuesday (Brewsday) it's been alot of fun so far. Nice to share this with local people you can actually visit with!

niquejim said:
Two Mods who never brewed with someone else, WOW!
I did a demo in November and it was a blast, but the nearest club is 80 miles away and tooooooooo far for me to go.
What are you trying to say? Are you causing trouble? ;)

Back