Homebrew Club Activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoptualBrew

Reaction score
I'm not sure how many of you all are involved in homebrew clubs, but I had a pretty descent idea a bit ago of a homebrew club meeting activity to promote knowledge. Although this is mostly for beginning/intermediate homebrewers, I still think everyone can benefit.

Cupping malt. If any of you are familiar with cupping coffee (http://www.jlhufford.com/articles/coffee-cupping.asp), it would be the same process.

10 grams of finely ground malt per 8oz cup. Pour near-boiling water over the grinds and let them steep for 4-5 minutes before sampling. In a group setting when sampling 10+ malts, I would suggest having plastic spoons by each cup.

This would give everyone a good idea of what a specific malt would bring to a recipe.

Anyone ever done this at a homebrew club meeting? I would love to hear how it went & other input.

Back