Homebrew belly issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matocaster

Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm new to the forum and look forward to getting to know you and learn from you as well!

I've been homebrewing for about 3 years now and I've come across an interesting issue I was hoping to get some insight into. a lot of my brews (extract) result in major gas (farts) for me, and soon after diarrhea. Go ahead and get your giggles out (just typing the word "farts" got a few chuckles out of me, but I'm 32 going on 13). I've researched this on the internet and on this forum and I'm having trouble nailing down what this could be from.

I see many posts about being careful about how you pour your bottle, but I keg, and I'm super careful about not disturbing my yeast cake when transferring, and I always always secondary ferment. I've wrote down all the yeast types of my brews that give me this issue, and it's pretty extensive, including US-05. I always sanitize very thoroughly, and have never had an infection in primary or secondary. Never used my equipment to brew a sour beer and always clean my hoses and such with food grade cleaner.

I thought over the past 3 years my belly would get used to the homebrew but it has not gotten any better or any worse. I do not suffer from any known food allergies and friends that drink my brew have no issues. My kegeraitor holds a steady 38-42 degrees F. (it's in the garage so it does fluctuate bit with the temp)

Those are all the factors I can think of. I do have a habit of throwing some of my beers in the keg about a week before the suggested time table suggests, but I always wait a week to a week and a half after I see bubbles in my secondary airlock and when I see the two water levels start to level out to each other (single piece "S" style) before kegging. I also wait a day or two to let the keg get to the 38-42f and carbonate before drinking. Most all of my beers are lower ABV stuff, like red ales, wheats (non hefe), German light, etc.

Just curious if you guys have any input on this issue? Sure gets old drinking beers on the can when it's so nice out :)

Thanks in advance!

My guess is that it's the yeast. A couple suggestions:

- Don't rely on the bubbles to tell you when it's done. Take at least 2-3 gravity readings over a couple days.

- Try cold crashing before you keg to knock as much yeast out of suspension as you can

- If you are still getting beer farts, maybe you could try some method of pasteurizing the beer. I have never done this but I'm sure there is some discussion floating around about it.

- If the farts still don't go away, keep drinking homebrew and fart on. Get yourself a good dog to take the blame for you. :mug:

Even though you keg, you still have some yeast in suspension. Cold crashing can reduce that but even still, there's some yeast. You also are technically cold crashing when you keg and the first few pours could be yeast.

You could try using gelatin or filtering your beer. I'd do that while I was calling my doctor because you should at least speak to an actual medical professional offline just in case.

For sanitary's sake, I'd skip drinking beers on the toilet. I didn't giggle at your post I think it's gross and I'd ask my doctor personally, that and not drink on the toilet.

Haha, I can already tell I'm going to love this forum! Fantastic humor. Thanks for the tips. I will try the grav. readings from now on (I know I should have in the first place, my fault for passing on it). Thank you guys so much for the input! I talked to my doctor about it and he said "Well then don't drink homebrew" and was no help after that (might be time for a new doc).

I will try the gelatin in secondary and post my results in case someone searching the net for answers for the same issue wants to know, and to be honest I don't actually drink on the can, but now the thought has me intrigued.

Thanks again guys!

I would guess it's the yeast as well. Beer yeast + my stomach = weapons-grade poison gas. I especially had this problem when I was newer and my beer was drunk very young and unclear do to impatience/poor practices on my part.

The best way to remedy that (IMHO only) is not to rush the beer. Make sure fermentation is complete and the beer is clear before you keg it. Cold crashing and using gelatin finings prior to kegging can help with this. Use your hydrometer. Once the beer is kegged give it a couple weeks to carb up via the set-and-forget method (which will also help any remaining yeast to settle out), and try not to move or disturb the keg in any way after that. Maybe try using more highly flocculant yeast strains as well.

I try to blame my beer farts on the cat, but SWMBO just isn't buying it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Hmmm...drinking on toilet...sounds like an idea for a toilet tap!

I've had similar issues in the past. I don't think it's the yeast as much as the ingredients. Though I don't get the Hershey Squirts, my stomach does mess up on the wheat beers or any beer if I drink enough of it. One thing to remember, diarrhea is also a sign of dehydration. Beer is a diuretic, flushing your body of all water often leading to dehydration. It's somewhat of a buzz kill, but try drinking water between every couple of beers.

Also, when I'm tearing one down so to speak. As I approach the point that I am "blitzed" , I switch over to my lawnmower beer. It's about 3.8% ABV, and then before I go to bed I will drink a couple of glasses of water. It won't stop the beer farts but it does seem to help keep my digest system stay somewhat on track.

Haha, I can already tell I'm going to love this forum! Fantastic humor. Thanks for the tips. I will try the grav. readings from now on (I know I should have in the first place, my fault for passing on it). Thank you guys so much for the input! I talked to my doctor about it and he said "Well then don't drink homebrew" and was no help after that (might be time for a new doc).

I will try the gelatin in secondary and post my results in case someone searching the net for answers for the same issue wants to know, and to be honest I don't actually drink on the can, but now the thought has me intrigued.

Thanks again guys!

Sounds like a pretty classic doctor's response. "Doc... it hurts when I do this!" "Then don't do that."

I have some trouble with certain beers, commericial and homebrew. My Saison gives me some terrible gas/upset stomach if I've had a few. Also, if anyone is familiar with Victory's Golden Monkey... you know what I'm talking about.

I think I mostly have trouble with belgian-style yeasts. Good luck to you figuring out what the deal is.

I believe it was Jamil Zaineshef who said a lot of digestive issues with homebrew can be caused by unconverted starches in your beer. The yeast can’t metabolize them, but your gut bacteria has a field day. Are your beers attenuating out completely?

When planning on trying lots of beer I take a Beano tablet and GasX before and during drinking. This prevents bloating and most digestive issue for me.

If you have diarrhea every time you drink homebrew then it sounds like you might have a allergy or something. Does this happen when you drink non-homebrew beer also? Maybe you should go to an allergist?

I would suggest getting a plate filter (in case you are reacting to the yeast), and/or using Clarity Ferm (if it's a gluten-related issue). Also calibrate your thermometers to make sure you are not getting any unconverted starches.

Does this happen when you drink non-homebrew beer also?
This would be my question also. If commercial bottle-conditioned brews are also causing this reaction the OP can likely rule out any benefit to be gained by altering his brewing process. I'm not totally familiar with which brews are bottle-conditoned and which aren't but I think trying out some Belgians might begin to answer the question.

Extract brews tend to not attenuate as well as all-grain brews.

Do bottle conditioned commercial beers have the same result?

I am 13 going on nearly 60, nothing wrong with a good fart !
Wherever you may be let the wind go free .
But the squits ! Wow, that gives me a panic attack.

You are not alone! I have this problem but my brewing buddy, who has a super sensitive stomach, has no problem at all. My extract brews were the worst for this. Since switching to All Grain BIAB I hardly have a problem at all. Also, I have found that fining with gelatin helps but I think the biggest difference was switching to All Grain. I have read that the extract can caramelize and become unfermentable by the yeast but your body can digest it almost instantly, causing gas among other things.

Man.. I can s--t through a screen door. I can cere less though. It doesn't matter to me. Extract and all grain are the same for me.. Starts with terrible gas.. If you aren't careful you can ruin your pants!

You might try a good quality probiotic. There were foods that gave me gas before I took probiotics that I digest just fine now. It's not an instant cure though. It takes a little while for your intestinal flora to balance and give you the full benefit. If that doesn't work I would probably try filtering.

When I first started homebrewing I had digestive issues. I didn't get diarrhea (though I certainly had "looser" stools), but my stomach would gurgle something fierce throughout the day, loud enough that co-workers could hear it in an adjoining cubicle, and my gas would clear a hangar sized room it was so foul. Haven't had that problem in many years, although I don't know if that is due to my body acclimating to the new fauna in my gut or if my brewing practices improved to where I was getting less yeast in suspension and/or less unconverted starches in the finished product.

Thank you guys so very much! Fantastic info on this very annoying issue. For those of you that asked, bottle conditioned brews I've purchased over the years (even hefe's) have never given me this issue. I've already learned a lot here and I want to thank you guys for taking the time to respond. And I sure wouldn't mind taking the leap to all grain, at least now I have the "Ass ammo" to convince my wife it would be worth it for the both of us! :)

When I first started homebrewing I had digestive issues. I didn't get diarrhea (though I certainly had "looser" stools), but my stomach would gurgle something fierce throughout the day, loud enough that co-workers could hear it in an adjoining cubicle, and my gas would clear a hangar sized room it was so foul. Haven't had that problem in many years, although I don't know if that is due to my body acclimating to the new fauna in my gut or if my brewing practices improved to where I was getting less yeast in suspension and/or less unconverted starches in the finished product.

+1 although I think when I added a week of cold crashing it helped alot.

I got on a bit of a health kick and started working out and it helped alot of similar issues. Heartburn, gas, etc... Do also consider it might not be the homebrew per se but the dozen chicken wings or large deluxe consumed afterwards or just go old fashioned over consumption...

i get this after drinking hydro samples (full of yeast) and i find US-05 to be the worst, marriage-threatening offender. my advice is either drop your beer clearer, or experiment with other yeasts that give a better aroma profile

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Or, in this case, an ass-mounted fart-powered rocket launcher. BTW, yes, this is a real patent.

Ass-Powered_Rocket.jpg

Back