Homebrew at wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwm1485

Reaction score
I've been starting to think about what beer to serve at my wedding that is in October. I'm going to run three taps and right now im thinking an IPA, amber and Kolsch. Anyone have any ideas?

I've been starting to think about what beer to serve at my wedding that is in October. I'm going to run three taps and right now im thinking an IPA, amber and Kolsch. Anyone have any ideas?
IPA, Marzen, Helles

Or

Pilsner, Marzen, Helles

Or just all Marzen (oktoberfestbier)

I dont have that good of a setup for lagers yet. Thats why I was think kolsch because I can ferment around 60 then lager in my keezer.

It really depends on the crowd and what the majority likes to drink. I like to go with a Kolsch for a BMC crowd pleaser, you can turn a kolsch around quickly and they are easy to clear with gelatin, plus they just get better the longer they sit in the keg. I always like to include a IPA or hoppy pale ale for the craft beer folks. 3rd pick depends on the crowd. Maybe a hefe or American wit if it is more of a BMC crowd? If it is more of a craft crowd a red (hoppy or Irish) is always a nice pick.

It really depends on the crowd and what the majority likes to drink. I like to go with a Kolsch for a BMC crowd pleaser, you can turn a kolsch around quickly and they are easy to clear with gelatin, plus they just get better the longer they sit in the keg. I always like to include a IPA or hoppy pale ale for the craft beer folks. 3rd pick depends on the crowd. Maybe a hefe or American wit if it is more of a BMC crowd? If it is more of a craft crowd a red (hoppy or Irish) is always a nice pick.
This was pretty much my thought process. I wanted the kolsch for the light beer drinkers, a lot of my friends would like an IPA and the amber as another option that isn't quite so hoppy. I was also thinking about switching out the Amber for maybe just a pale

I always brew a Belgian Wit for events (took it to a wedding and an Oktoberfest party) and it is always the first keg to kick. Keep it around 5% abv and tell people it tastes similar to Blue Moon and it can please the BMC crowd.

I would also take something amber/red and depending on the crowd either something hoppy or something dark.

I've taken ambers to group camp trips and such where the majority are craft beer drinkers. The pale or the IPA always kicks first. If it were me I'd go Kolsch, 5.5-ish% pale ale and a big IPA / NE IPA.

Good luck!

Something really light for the BMC crowd, something malty for the craft beer drinkers who aren't hop heads, and an IPA because it's the single most popular craft beer style.

There are options within each category (like Kolsch, blonde ale, wheat for the first category).

For me it would be Blonde Ale, California Common and a nice NEIPA.

I made four beers for my wedding a few months ago. Munich Helles, NZ Pilsner, hoppy pale ale, and American wheat. Based on consumption helles 1st, pale 2nd, pale 3rd, and wheat last by miles. I knew the tastes of my guests and threw in the wheat as an easy drinker.

Number one is know your crowd. I also backup the cider comment.

Also im going to make something like this to serve it from.
IMG_17281.jpg

Make sure whatever venue you're planning on using will allow you to serve your own beer. My daughter was married last year and I wanted to serve my homebrew. The venue would not allow it. Even though we paid for an open wine/beer bar, they wouldn't. You'd think they'd be happy to get the beer for free, but no.

So--before you invest time/money/effort in this, my suggestion is to make sure.

Good luck and congrats! I'll be looking for my invitation in the mail. :)

A brown ale sounds like a good idea. All ready checked if they would allow it and its all good. So it will be all homebrew and homemade wine.

Id go ipa cider simple wheat or kolsh. I did 5 gal of wheat for my sisters wedding. It had 3# black berries.

In general wedding guests are kinda stuck there and will drink whatever free beer is on tap. The only skill in selecting what to put on tap is choosing so they all run out at the same time, and how soon you want to people to start falling over.

Make sure whatever venue you're planning on using will allow you to serve your own beer. My daughter was married last year and I wanted to serve my homebrew. The venue would not allow it. Even though we paid for an open wine/beer bar, they wouldn't. You'd think they'd be happy to get the beer for free, but no.

So--before you invest time/money/effort in this, my suggestion is to make sure.

Good luck and congrats! I'll be looking for my invitation in the mail. :)
Second-ing this comment. I was actually just reading an article about all the weird homebrew laws that exist regarding serving. A lot of areas only allow you to serve it on your own property for instance. Liquor laws at the city level and even the venue can be quite strange too. We looked at a place for our wedding where all alcohol had to be purchased through the venue before hand but it could not leave the premises. Meaning if you had extra bottles of wine/beer/spirits at the end of the night they have to hold them. You would then in the future be able to go to the bar and ask for a glass of wine/beer from your stock that you already bought whenever you wanted to.
Sorry for being a bit off topic but anyway good luck, sounds great, and congrats!

I would also suggest considering if you want to expend the time and effort on your wedding day to get all of this setup and the taps running properly. It's your day, so do what you want, but I personally wouldn't want to have the worry of setting up the taps and taking them down at the end.

There was a solid article last month on the main site about brewing a crowd pleaser. I'd use that as a baseline (Kolsch is not far off I would think) and then add specialties to your taste and/or guests you know would be interested.

I'd go with the IPA, the Kolsch and maybe some kind of fruit beer like a strawberry blond ale. I'd also get cases of red , white and rose wine and maybe a keg of commercial cider like Angry Orchard. Basically have something for everyone.
I'd also hire a bartender that knows what they are doing, not just some random acquaintance.. It may seem like a waste of money, but guests that are visually drunk can ruin the event and you could be liable if something happens after intoxicated individual leaves the party.

A blonde or creme ale for the BMC crowd, An IPA for the . . .Well that is self-explanatory. AS for the other. The brown ale is a good choice - you seemed to imply that an Oktoberfest/marzan might be of interest but you are not set up to lager. This is a really good option to that:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=39021

So im pretty locked in on the IPA and kolsch. The third is still up in the air. I'm thinking a nut brown or possibly that Oktoberfest ale recipe posted. Also I will have my friend that I brew with at the wedding to manage the kegs and do that work so I don't have to.

I have had good success with a radler or shandy - mixing lemonade and lemon lime soda with a lighter beer. People love this and most of your crowd will prefer it to an IPA.

You can do this in the keg, or just mix at pour from pitchers of prepared lemonade/soda.

Whatever you do, give people what they want and don’t act like a beer snob! You are thanking friends and family for participating in your wedding, give them something great but don’t turn it into a beer lesson, and keep in mind that they would probably be happy with kegs of BMC.

Back