Homebrew and Indigestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkoglu

Reaction score
My roommate and I sampled my latest batch of beer the other night while I was bottling and we both had unbelievable indigestion. I had the worst heartburn I’ve ever had and felt like sh*t all day. Has anyone else had this experience? The beer looked, smelled and tasted great.

If it's your first batch of HB it may take your body to get used to it. It's much different from commercial beer because it still has all the yeasties floating in it. Most people have problems with unbelieveable flatulence at first, but as their body gets used to it it all goes away.

How hoppy is it? What else did you eat during the day? Drink another bottle and see if you get the same results.

It's not my fist batch of HB but it first batch I dry hopped. It's hoppy but not overly so I think around 50 IBU's according to tasty brew's calc. I ate Christmas leftovers so turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, ect.

Hoppy can do it to you. I have acid reflux and highly hopped beers will keep me up all night. Usually the issue I have with HB is big time farts. I'll sit up watching TV and toot up a symphony.:D (sic)

Danny013 said:
If it's your first batch of HB it may take your body to get used to it. It's much different from commercial beer because it still has all the yeasties floating in it. Most people have problems with unbelieveable flatulence at first, but as their body gets used to it it all goes away.

Say what!? I've been drinking my homebrew for over 2 years now and every time I drink it I get amazingly potent flatulence. Do you think maybe I need to drink more of it to get my body used to it?

That might work! ;)

I had real bad problems at first, literally all night long - SWMBO threw me out on the couch...I figured it was worth it :p but eventually it just went away. I've heard the same from other HB'ers as well.

Could be different for everyone, I suppose. I've heard bean-o works pretty good!

I get heartburn when I drink one too many. Most of my beers are APA's and IPA's so I believe the heartburn thing could be related to hops. Though I did get it with the sweet stout I made, so maybe I'm lactose intolerant too. Oh well, I just eat a tums before heading to bed and am usually ok. Though the SWMBO does say I snore more. Good thing she has ear plugs.

Back