Homebrew Across International Borders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarbonatedColon

Reaction score
Can I cross the Canadian-US Border with Homebrew?

I live in Canada and I will be visiting a friend in Ohio. I would like to bring some of my home brewed beer for our personal consumption.

Is this legal?

That's a great question! I assume so, since it's ok to take up to a case of beer per person (24 12 ounce cans) across the border for us to go to Canada. The law that I read doesn't differentiate between homebrew and commercial.

However, I'd think that unlabled bottles of anything could be suspect in todays world. I would declare the beer as "beer" of course, but I don't know if I'd volunteer it was homebrew.

Can I cross the Canadian-US Border with Homebrew?

I live in Canada and I will be visiting a friend in Ohio. I would like to bring some of my home brewed beer for our personal consumption.

Is this legal?

If you are flying and want to carry the homebrew on the answer is no. You cannot carry the homebrew on to the plane. You must check it in your luggage. If you are driving across the border I don't think it would be a problem. Just make sure you let the Customs Agent at the border crossing know you have it. I would hate to have Customs find something liquid in a brown bottle that I didn't declare; especially after last week's incident in Times Square.

Thanks Guys. I will be driving.

I guess I'll just try it - one case should be plenty since I will also be enjoying many of the great micro brews that are available in the US that we cant get in Ontario because of Molson, Labatt, and Sleeman's 100% foreign owned Triopoly that regulates beer distribution in This Province.

They will fall.

shouldn't have any problem. I took a good 5 or 6 bombers with me to Australia earlier this year and no one batted an eye at either airport.

Back