Home water report - help interpret!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavpilot2000

Reaction score
So I've never been one to adjust my brewing water because I think it makes damn fine beer, so why mess with that which works, right?
We'll lo and behold, I can't leave well enough alone, so I order a water analysis from Ward Labs.
Basically I brew mostly lighter style beers, especially German lagers usually no darker than an Oktoberfest, and they turn out great.
But when I do darker styles (Dunkels, mostly), I feel like they aren't as good as my lighter lagers, pale ales, and IPAs.
So I begin to wonder if it's my water that lends itself to lighter styles and is detrimental to darks.
That's why I ordered the test.
This being my first one, I'd like some help interpreting it from a brewing perspective. So feel free to chime in.

Here is the report.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I agree with adding gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) for other than your light colored brews. Perhaps 4 grams to the mash water for your darker beers if you are in the 5 gallon yield range.

Or perhaps for a better chloride/sulfate balance, add 3 grams gypsum, and 1 gram calcium chloride. This is what I would do.

I agree with adding gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) for other than your light colored brews. Perhaps 4 grams to the mash water for your darker beers if you are in the 5 gallon yield range.

Or perhaps for a better chloride/sulfate balance, add 3 grams gypsum, and 1 gram calcium chloride. This is what I would do.

Are you talking specifically for dark beers?

Back