Home Roasting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerryMonk

Reaction score
Once I have finished with the "mashing" portion of the roast.....do I remove the foil covering the grains? Also...I know there is no way to give an exact time,but approximately how long would you say it will take me to get to 60L once I begin the "roasting/caramelizing" portion? I'm planning on trying this saturday.

Well I'm about an hour into the "mash" portion of the process. looks oven temp is 160....hope grain bed is mashing. got my fingers crossed

If you haven't seen this thread this should answer just about question that might come up. If you have a probe thermometer it is a good idea to keep tabs on the grain bed temp. ~160 is perfect. 2 hours at that temp should get really good conversion to sugar. Then it is a good idea to split the grain onto two cookie sheets and stir pretty frequently to dry and roast to 60l.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/home-roasting-expert-needed-138483/

As above regarding taking the foil off after the mashing stage.

For your first time, try roasting more grain than you need and remove a portion of the grain at different times and take notes of the various selections regarding time and colour. This will help you dial in your method and make it more easily repeatable to produce other lovibond grains in the future.

Latest posts

Back