Home Roasting Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowtones84

Reaction score
So, I've been looking into roasting my own specialty grains at home since I will be buying a sack of base grain soon. However, my debate is whether I want a sack of 2-row or a sack of pilsener malt since I do enjoy brewing Belgians, not that I brew Belgian styles exclusively.

Has anyone home roasted pilsener malt instead of 2-row to make your own specialty grains? Or have a reason that it should or shouldn't be fine?

Thanks all! :mug:

I roasted MO and rye, and both came out fine. I see no reason you couldn't roast pils or 6-row or whatever. I have also made excellent Belgian-esque beer with 2-row and MO instead of pils, but that may be answering a different question.

Cool, that's good to hear. I'm specifically wondering about making your own crystal malts, Vienna, and Munich malts. I've seen "recipes" for all of these using 2-row. And I know you can make good Belgian style beers with other base grains but my preference does lie with pilsener for them.

Crystal, Vienna, Munich are all made from green malt. You could probably make approximations from base malts, but they wouldn't be identical. In any case, I'm sure Pilsner would work just as well as 2-row.

Back