Home Roasted Coffee Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An idea for the next round of bean sharing: I'd like to see all of us roast the same bean (e.g., from Sweet Marias or similar). After roasting, we each send 1# the same person, a consolidator, who then repackages and gets a sample of each to everybody. I end up with 8 roast samples of the same bean, but all from different equipment and process. This accomplishes one major thing: a real apples-to-apples comparison of different brewing techniques. I'd even propose that everyone attempt to roast to the same level (say, full city or something like that).

It adds the cost of an additional shipment (you'd pay for the original shipment, and the later return shipment from the consolidator).

Thoughts?

I’d be up for that.

Don’t forget that the deadline to ship coffee out is tomorrow! And as people receive coffee, pictures and tasting notes are always cool to see.

I’m trying @Inkleg Banko coffee right now, his usual roast style. It’s smooth, it has a little bit of tartness to it like a lemon but not lip puckering. Maybe it’s a slight acidic taste I get. Either way it’s very nice.

When I tried his Colombian beans the other day I sent him a message saying:
“I’m trying the Colombi Arroyo this morning. It’s very smooth! I get a grape character and a little sweetness too. This coffee is quite tasty! Thanks again.”

I need to brew the 12% Banko again and report back too.

Holy coffee score of the thread Batman!!
Just got home to a box at the front door and WOW!
Thanks @shelly_belly
The Kenya Peaberry smells amazing. The light roast on the Ethiopian intrigues me. The Yemen I can't thank you enough. But how did you know I didn't have and AeroPress, but had been looking at them?

IMG_8786.JPG

Oh and I forgot that it's Half Pint approved too!

^wow - what a generous coffee mail! We have a really fantastic little group here:)

I think you’re gonna dig that Aeropress. Possibly the best brewer ever. I like making Iced Coffee with it: 22g coffee, 165g brew water, 2min steep; press over a pint glass full of ice

I'm enjoying a cup of the Kenya at work this morning. I have a Behmor set to 202° with a 2 minute presoak. The aroma which is faint in the cup I get is a slight spice with a hint of coco every now and then. The flavor is more citrus with a acid bite at the end.

What a nice way to start the day. Thanks @shelly_belly !

I am having a cup of coffee from @Inkleg this morning. Its the 12% Banko. It tastes very similar to his regular roast profile Banko, but more acidic but the tartness is different too. I get less of the lemon character, but more acidic. It reminds me of the beans @jimyson sent me a few weeks ago. That is where I learned what the acidic character is like.

I would say I like both Banko beans, but maybe the regular profile roast has a slight edge over the 12%. I can't wait to roast some Banko myself that @Inkleg included!
:coff1:

I had some of @jammin coffee this weekend (bag labeled 'A'). Man it was good. Looked like a perfect roast. Definitely got the blueberries.

I think I roast too long after 1C and lose those fruit notes.

I wonder why his roasts don't have the tan buttcracks that mine always have. His beans are a uniform color, without the lighter buttcrack. I think jammin also sent me a sample of coffee a year or two ago and it was the same.

My wife just started her cup of the 12% Banko and after her first sip she says "Wow I really like this one"! I explained to her it was the same beans as the coffee yesterday just roasted differently. She says she likes the 12% Banko better than @Inkleg 's regular Banko roast. She says she gets a chocolate character from the cup today. Granted she puts a splash of almond milk and a little bit of stevia in her coffee, whereas I drink mine black. I had her take a sip from my cup and she says it tastes way different, she said my cup has a woody character to it.

Anyways, I wanted to share this feedback.

I was concerned about the light roast on the Ethiopian. It was my first roast trying to hit a development goal which I've only recently learned about thanks to the coffee thread. With FC at 3:30 mins I dropped the beans 21 seconds later. Weight loss was 11%. I've never roasted this light before and wasn't sure if I had even made coffee. I do like how fruity it smells, though.

The Kenyan had a development time of 17% and weight loss of 14%. This one always roasts well in the popper. I've been enjoying some great espresso shots out of it.

I love my aeropress and I think everyone should have one!

And here's my haul from @jimyson and a nice one it is.

The Ethiopian Yir Dumerso brews an elegant cup with fruit and cider overtones. I also tasted almonds and cacao. It's brightness was overpowering in espresso but was acceptable in a cappuccino.

The Ethiopian Hambela Hassan also brews a fruity cup - most like cherry to me. It has a floral flavor and chocolate too. Also too bright for espresso but makes a decent cappuccino.

The Ugandan Bugisu with Michters M10 I haven't tried yet in the cup. It was too strong flavored in espresso but makes an incredible cappuccino. I really like it. It doesn't taste so much like Bourbon but more like the barrel, if that makes sense.

One quality of all of your roasts is that the beans all have some flavors of the roasting process itself, kind of like a sear on the beans themselves, which I like but can't seem to get from the popcorn popper. Time to start saving for a Behmor I guess.

Thanks for the green beans too. I'm going to roast them to your specs to compare the difference.
coffee.jpg

Thank you for the review, @shelly_belly ! Now you have me wondering how I need to change to make it more appropriate for espresso. I see some of the others shooting for development in the 12% range and these are higher than that. Hoping someone here can chime in on that.

The Uganda and Michters beans were a 50/50 blend of straight Uganda Bugisu post roast.

I'm glad they are all drinkable! :)

Any recommendations other than possible reduce some acidity if targeting an espresso brewing process?

^yeah thats pretty nice packaging!
I agree! I especially like that he put (para phrasing here) "Brew this damn good coffee within 3 weeks!!!"
I get so pissed when people tell me they have coffee I gave them 4 months ago because they're "Saving it for a special occasion"
Drink it damn it I'll roast more!!

@TallDan with my bags I kept the words small so I could spell them correctly.

Drinking some of the HTR bourbon aged this morning. My usual weekday brewing method of the chemex (bleached chemex filter). It's amazing how much bourbon flavor comes through. Not that it actually tastes or even smells like booze, it's really the barrel flavors. I'd even say that it reminds me more of barreled rum than it does bourbon. What was the coffee used for this, @HarborTownBrewing ? I'm guessing something not very exciting by itself, any nuance to the coffee would probably be covered up by the bourbon.

Going to have to brew some for my wife to taste, I think she'll like it a lot. It's not something I'd drink everyday, but I'm going to have to play with this myself.

What was the coffee used for this, @HarborTownBrewing ? I'm guessing something not very exciting by itself, any nuance to the coffee would probably be covered up by the bourbon.

I was interested to hear how you would like that. I like it using the Able Kone filter in the Chemex, which allows a little more body/oils to kind of go with the punchy flavors.

The base coffee was Colombia La Plata, as I recall. I can't remember the exact tasting notes, but when it's not aged in bourbon it has baking spice flavors and a little bit of sweetness. I think it was around an 89-point coffee - nothing exceptional, but has good body with subtle flavors. But you are correct, the flavors all get washed out with the bourbon though.

I was interested to hear how you would like that. I like it using the Able Kone filter in the Chemex, which allows a little more body/oils to kind of go with the punchy flavors.

The base coffee was Colombia La Plata, as I recall. I can't remember the exact tasting notes, but when it's not aged in bourbon it has baking spice flavors and a little bit of sweetness. I think it was around an 89-point coffee - nothing exceptional, but has good body with subtle flavors. But you are correct, the flavors all get washed out with the bourbon though.
I've had a couple barrel aged coffees in the past. One from Dark Matter, and... another one. I liked yours better, honestly. The dark matter one I liked in same way I like a double barrel aged cinnamon-roll coffee bacon pepper fried-egg maple-syrup vanilla cherry coconut stout. It was intense and tasty, but in an over-the-top way that makes one serving enough. Yours was like a good rum cake. Not subtle, but not overbearing either.

...and because I drank that pot quickly trying to dissect the flavors, I just brewed some of the Ethiopian too. I've had floral coffees before, but this is much more intense. With that hint of citrus, this drinks like earl grey to me. Very tasty. I'm anxious to see what it tastes like when I roast the same coffee on the behmor. It's hard to imagine getting more flavor out of the bean than this though.

Two very different coffees and both outstanding in their own right!

:coff4: :bravo:

Well I have to say, I got quite the package today from @pshankstar. Not only did he spoil me with 4 different coffees but also threw in a homebrew, another beer, and three teas. What is funny is, I love tea and like to brew it in a Teaze, so I'm really looking forward to trying those loose leaf teas too.

You guys might have to give me a couple days to get through these for a review. Either that or I'm going to have one heck of a caffiene buzz tomorrow. Thanks again @pshankstar!
20180907_172215.jpeg

Well I have to say, I got quite the package today from @pshankstar. Not only did he spoil me with 4 different coffees but also threw in a homebrew, another beer, and three teas. What is funny is, I love tea and like to brew it in a Teaze, so I'm really looking forward to trying those loose leaf teas too.

You guys might have to give me a couple days to get through these for a review. Either that or I'm going to have one heck of a caffiene buzz tomorrow. Thanks again @pshankstar! View attachment 587101

He’s usually pretty good at writing love letters in his packages too.

Back