home malting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewyourown4life

Reaction score
i have a question for anyone who home malts or knows there malted grains like the back of there hand, i have a 50 pound sack of steptoe 6- row barley. wondering if this wiil be good for brewing when malted or do i need to use srtickley 2- row. this is a lot of malt and i don't want to waste my time on it if it won't brew right

John Palmer says in his "How To Brew" :

There are two basic varieties of barley, two row and six row - referring to the arrangement of the kernels around the shaft. Two row barley is the generally preferred variety, having a bit higher yield per pound, lower protein levels, and claiming a more refined flavor than six row. However, six row has a little higher diastatic power than two row. Historically, the higher protein level of six row barley (which can produce a very heavy bodied beer) drove brewers to thin the wort with unmalted grains like corn and rice.
There is also an Article in "BYO" Magazine about Malting :

http://byo.com/stories/techniques/a...rain-brewing/1113-malting-your-own-techniques

Hector

Back