Home malting barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewyourown4life

Reaction score
DOES ANYONE HERE MALT THERE OWN BARLEY? been doing some research on the web and was wondering how people do it and the results they had brewing with it.:confused:

There are people that malt their own, but not many.

There's a thread here I found in the past on someone who did it. Lots of pics and info.

I malt my own barley. Bought a 50lb sack of organic six row from the local feed store for $18. I malted it using a malting tumbler I made with a 5 gallon bucket and a windshield wiper motor. You can find examples of the tumbler I based mine on through youtube by looking up tlgrimmy and homedistiller + malting. After the growth phase I dried out the grain in my oven but used only incandescent bulbs placed inside for the heat source so as to keep it under 120 f. As for what kind of beer it makes I will have to let you know in a couple weeks. I have a 5gal carboy of pale ale bubbling away at the moment.

Last night I bottled an American wheat made from wheat and barley (from my fathers farm) that I malted myself. Give me a couple weeks and I can let you know how it turned out.

Back