Home made malt agar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeRage

Death by Magumba!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had that wyeast pack to store and I was bored so figured I would try something. I cooked up some home made agar. 1 Cup of water, 1/3 cup of DME, 1/8 tsp of yeast nutrient, and one packet of gelatin. Poured it into 3 'contemporary' mason jars (had enough for 4 actually). Its all cooling now. Probably will innoculate them in the next hour or so. What do you all think?

Virtuous said:
Hey guys, I had that wyeast pack to store and I was bored so figured I would try something. I cooked up some home made agar. 1 Cup of water, 1/3 cup of DME, 1/8 tsp of yeast nutrient, and one packet of gelatin. Poured it into 3 'contemporary' mason jars (had enough for 4 actually). Its all cooling now. Probably will innoculate them in the next hour or so. What do you all think?
Ahmmm. Sorry, no comment.....:)

It should work fine. It is basically what I do. I weigh out my DME (60 gms/liter) dissolve that and then add 20 gms of agar (2% final conc. wt/vol). Slap it in the autoclave and pour into pertri plates when cool enough. The yeast grow fine.

Yeah, autoclaving is a must. You can use a pressure cooker, just leave it in there for 60-90 min. Make sure your technique is sterile.

Back