Home insurance claim question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfonnes

Reaction score
Yesterday I had 90 mph winds for most of the day. I lost 15 trees, the shingles off of my shed and chicken coop, and about 40 yards of heavy wood fence.

The insurance company said that they would cover removal of the 3 trees that fell on the driveway, upto $1000, shingles on shed and coop, and depreciated value of the fence (probably not much since it was older).

I have a $450 deductible. Will it be worth it to file a claim? Will they raise my insurance rate? I plan on living in the house for another 20 years, so I do not need to worry about getting a new policy if I sold.

What are your experiences with insurance companies?

Any idea what they would give you after taking out the deductible and also how much the total repairs will cost? I am not familiar with Utah home insurance law but I know that in most states they will more than likely raise your premium (possibly by 50-100%). There is also a chance that they will just cancel you. That isn't very likely though since it sound like it will be catagorized as a catastrophe claim and most insurance companies won't cancel for one of them. If god forbid you had another claim of any type in the next 3-5 years there is a decent chance they would cancel you then though.

Having a claim will also make it more difficult to find another carrier if you think there is any chance that you would be looking to switch your home and/or auto in the next few years.

Back