Home grown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
So, I have my first "harvest" of my hops. About 2 oz's or so of Cascade and Chinook. I am wondering if there is some way to get an idea of their flavor without actually using them in beer. In other words, is there a way to take a small amount and do something with them to see what they are going to bring to my beer? If this is a stupid question, please say so. I just thought there might be a way RR

Make a hop tea. If you only have 2 oz of each...that's not enough to do anything, but make tea.

People generally view 5 to 8 ounces of fresh hops as equivalent to one ounce of pellet hops.

Make a hop tea. If you only have 2 oz of each...that's not enough to do anything, but make tea.

People generally view 5 to 8 ounces of fresh hops as equivalent to one ounce of pellet hops.
They are in the freezer, so I am hoping to keep them until I get enough. Thank you for the reply, so just hot water and steep them? How much would be enough to gauge the flavour profile?

You should be able to get an idea with just a few cones split open and steeped in a couple of ounces of water.
It would be interesting if you post a picture showing the pre-steeped split cones to judge the amount of lupulin therein...

Cheers!

You should be able to get an idea with just a few cones split open and steeped in a couple of ounces of water.
It would be interesting if you post a picture showing the pre-steeped split cones to judge the amount of lupulin therein...

Cheers!

Heat some water to 180, put one in, taste. Add more as desired :)

I've found a tremendous amount of natural variation in the hops I've grown.

Heat some water to 180, put one in, taste. Add more as desired :)

I've found a tremendous amount of natural variation in the hops I've grown.
Cool. I am going to give it a try. The Columbus produced the most, about maybe 4 ounces. The Chinook about 2.5 and the Cascade did not even have enough to pick. I am hoping next season to get more out of the Cascade, but we will see.

Thanks to all for the info. I am going to do the hot water steep next week when they are dry and good to go. RR

Cheers!
I am not very good at posting pics, but I will give it a try.

Back