Home depot food grade bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

Reaction score
I picked up a 5 gallon food grade bucket and lid from home depot, for fermenting 2.3 or 3 gal batches in. (Better size than the 6.5 gal bucket I got with my starter kit).

Just testing it out I found that the lid is very hard to snap in place, and that I now can't get the dang lid off.

I read of others using these buckets so hoping someone can advise me.

The lid has the tear off strip which I am sure would allow the lid to come off, but my concern is that it looks like removing that strip will remove every second locking "tab" on the lid with it... And I'm not sure if the lid would then be able to close again with an air tight seal.

Any one know?

The bucket lid wrench works well, just go slowly around the lid with it, lifting a little at a time. I pulled too hard on one lid and broke the rim of the bucket. Home Depot sells the wrenches for around $5. They do not work on all lids, however, so try it first in the store.

I also have two screw on lids, but these are even harder to remove. When sealed tight I need a mallet to loosen them, and the ring part that attaches to the bucket is stuck forever. Maybe if I greased the threads with Vaseline, but I am afraid of contamination.

I always loosen my lids a day or two before bottling so any trub stirred up from struggling with the lid gets some time to re-settle.

TomVA

Just remove the tear off strip. I've done that with both of my HD buckets, and have not had a problem.

Cool thanks. I'll give it a shot. Worst case I'm out about $3 for the lid.

Re: a different lid entirely, I'm hoping I can just use this lid as it conveniently has a pop-out pour spout (soft plastic) that perfectly fits my existing bung in it, so it appeals to my lazy side of not having to cut out a new hole. lol

Just to finish this thread off, I just tore off the strip, and yeah, it takes away 1/2 of the locking tabs, but as Bucketnative said, the lids now goes on and off easily, and it still seals, no leakage testing with water.

Thanks Bucket. Figures you would know about my bucket issues.

Walmart has a food grade 5 gallon bucket ad lid that is easy to remove and water tight. I have only used them for storing malt but I see no reason they wouldn't work for small batch fermenting.

Solid air tight lock not needed for a fermenter. CO2 build up will keep bad air from coming in. You just might see less activity in air lock. But if you ferment for 3-4 weeks it makes little difference what the air lock shows.

Latest posts

Back