Home Brewing in Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianC302

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum so i wasn't sure where to post this. I will be traveling to japan soon and i wanted to bring some home brew to some friends there.
I did a little research about Home Brewing in Japan and it appears that you are only allowed to brew beer up to 1% ABV there, which is more ridiculous than utah! Obviously no one really enforces this or else there would be zero home brewers in Japan.
Anyway. My question is... Does anyone know if it is legal to bring home brewed beer into japan, or has anyone had problems with customs there. I couldn't find any info about this on the net. just wondering if anyone has done it. thanks -Brian

There is a chance you will have problems. Maybe it would be easier to ship it? Unfortunately, when it comes to alcohol, laws cease to be anywhere logical, reasonable or fair.

I don't think you are technically suppose to transport homebrew off of your property except for a couple bottles for clubs and competitions. Just bottle it in some bottles that have commercial labels still on them and don't mention anything about "homebrew"

I don't think you are technically suppose to transport homebrew off of your property except for a couple bottles for clubs and competitions. Just bottle it in some bottles that have commercial labels still on them and don't mention anything about "homebrew"

Actually, that's just a law in some states (I think there are still states that have the law, but don't know). It was just repealed in Washington.
Washington Homebrewers Association - Home

SWMBO travelled to Japan a couple of years ago to visit an exchange student that had spent a year with us, and her family. As a gift, I sent a bottle of Bourbon with, and she packed it in her luggage. It went through no problem. You might want to try doing that with a homebrew.

Back