Home Brewers Survey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carbonellsa

Reaction score
Hello All
I'm new to this site so this is my very first post!

I am a 3rd year Graphic Design Student and I have a project to make a "How to Brew in your Home" Website!

But first I need to conduct some research which brings me to this survey.
It would be very helpful if you can answer a few questions regarding Home Brewing.

Thank You!:mug::mug:

1. Why do you do Brew, and where?
  2. How did you learn about brewing, what influenced you?
  3. What previous knowledge did you have of brewing before you started/ what previous knowledge do you need?
  4. What are the different levels of success?
  5. What are the benefits to home brewing?
  6. What would you say to encourage others to home brew?
  7. What is the hardest part of home brewing, and what is the most important?

OK Ill go along with it...

I brew because its fun and a good way to have a variety of beer on hand. I brew in my kitchen right now but in the spring will be moving it out onto the patio with a propane burner.

Saw a Mr Beer kit at Bed Bath Beyond and tried it. Results weren't great. Internet research lead me to get a real kit and went from there.

3. What previous knowledge did you have of brewing before you started/ what previous knowledge do you need?

I had no previous knowledge. The only knowledge you need is to know how to boil water, operate a timer, and read directions.

Some batches have turned out great while others were less than perfect. IF you have a solid recipe to follow and sanitize everything properly you can make a really good beer.

The feeling of accomplishment that you made a great beer on your own. Great tasting beer on tap anytime you want it. Being able to make a beer according to your own tastes.

If you like craft beer then just try a batch with a friend who brews. It is a good learning experience even if you don't end up getting into the hobby.

The hardest part is waiting the 6+ weeks for it to be drinkable! The most important part is sanitizing.

1) My apartment, so I can make good beer cheaply, and also make arcane/obscure beers not commercially available.

2) LHBS staff initially, books, on the internerds

3) None, and none, other than literacy, but an open and analytical mind helps tremendously.

4) Usable product (not infected/undrinkable), product you're personally happy with, product that pleases others, product that is better than "professional" beer.

5) Good way to waste a lot of time, good way to bore your friends, getting drunk (obviously), slight monetary savings, if you neglect the opportunity cost of your wasted time.

6) If you can follow directions, you can make beer. It's not hard at all to make mediocre beer. It's a bit like golf or skiing, anyone who can walk can pick it up, but it'll take a lifetime to master it.

7) Initially it was learning who to listen to, and what advice to use, and what to discard. Now I have the hardest time turning "good" recipes into "great" recipes. Definitely sanitation. All good brewers are janitors first and foremost.

I brew because I enjoy it and can make what beer I want, when I want. I also save money doing so. I brew extract with specialty grains so it is all stove top and I ferment in my basement.

I learned by reading The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Chuck P. I was influenced by having many great breweries near my town.

The only previous knowledge you need is to know how to read.

My success comes in the form of not spending much money on what I consider to be great beer.

Learning too much about beer so you have a hard time communicating with others. That's a real benefit.

"Here, take a sip of this. I made it and you can too."

No matter how much you learn, there is always a LOT more to learn. The only important part is to enjoy yourself or you're wasting your time.

I brew because I enjoy the process and I like to create things. I brew in my garage.

I saw a basic brewing kit on sale and bought it for a friend because I thought it sounded cool. My friend turned out to not be very good at it and he gave the kit back to me. That was all it took.

I had no previous knowledge and none was really needed. If you can read and follow instructions, you'll do fine.
    It can range from utter garbage to magnificent beer.

I realize a SUBSTANTIAL costs savings by brewing the kindof beer I like rather than buying it. I don't do it to save money, but the money savings is nice.

Here.... try this. I made it, and you can to.

The hardest part is being patient and letting things happen naturally. The most important part is sanitation.

Why do you do Brew, and where?
I started brewing over 20 years ago because the kind of beer I liked was too hard to find and too expensive. I brew in my garage.
How did you learn about brewing, what influenced you?
I learned from the terrible instructions that used to come with extract kits back then. Since then I've read a lot and learned a MASSIVE amount when my wife worked for the American Homebrewer's Association.
What previous knowledge did you have of brewing before you started/ what previous knowledge do you need?
I had none whatsoever. The only thing you need to know is how to boil water.
What are the different levels of success?
At first it's about making beer you can stomach. After that, it's just refining and improving. Moving to all grain was a huge step up in quality for me.
What are the benefits to home brewing?
Cheaper. Some argue it's not, but craft six packs are hitting $10 or more. I can make 8 six packs for $30 including propane and water. That's a savings of $50/batch, more than enough to offset equipment purchased over 20 years. Also, I get to experiment and have fun.
What would you say to encourage others to home brew?
Just jump in and do it.
What is the hardest part of home brewing, and what is the most important?
The hardest is patience. The most important is patience.

I enjoy it. I like drinking my own beer. Can make the beer aI like to drink. I brewin the driveway.

Just seemed like something I wanted to get into.

I had no knowledge. Read "Joy of homebrewing" and dove in.

Not sure what you mean. This I I think success when I can drink what I brew and it tastes good.

Saving money over spending 8 bucks a 6-packl of craft brew. enjoyment. Sharing the beer.

Do-it

You can make it as hard or easy as you want to once you get the basics down. most important is to relax and enjoy the process. Why do it if it's not fun?

1. I brew b/c I live in AZ and dont have a large selection of quality beer. I brewed my first batch this past weekend on my back patio.

2. I learned about it from my friend MrColdOnes. I was influenced by the documentary BeerWars and the show BrewMasters.

3. Before I started I listened and watched my friend. Then I read How to Brew by Palmer, tips on HBT, and videos on Youtube. I think being able to research and common sense is the only two things you really need.

4. My only success so far was getting my first batch to begin fermentation.

5. Quality beer is the biggest benefit. Other benefits are creativity, relaxation, knowledge, self-gratification, and building friendships over a home brew.

6. I would say don't let corporations tell you what to eat or drink. Demand quality and learn to cook/brew for yourself.

7. The hardest part is doing the leg work, research (which I enjoy), and taking the leap. The most important part is enjoying it. To me this hobby is a stress reliever and not a chore. I want it to remain fun and relaxing.

I started brewing as a hobby away from work. I continue because I truly enjoy several facets of the hobby, the building of equiptment, the history of the recipes and techniques, and lastly the beer I make.
While I started brewing in the Kitchen, my lovely wife exiled me to the garage/driveway. She did so very politely by buying me a keggle and burner from Sabco.

I sat drinking with a workmate many years ago while he made a simple extract batch in his apartment. A few years later I remembered that occasion and that prompted my entree into the hobby.

What previous knowledge did you have of brewing before you started/ what previous knowledge do you need?
Nothing special, just a desire to do it and a lack of fear to try.

Great question!
1) Brew an extract beer that actually ferments
2) Brew an extract beer that really tastes good and not ashamed to share it with friends
3) Brew a partial mash beer
4) Attend a local homebrew club meeting
5) Enter a homebrew contest
6) Upgrade equipment to a proper feretnation chamber/corner/cooler with a full boil
7) go all grain!
8) Win a few homebrew contest medals
9) Move on to produce good lighter beers (lagers, etc)

I find the social aspect enjoyable as well the ability to take from the hobby what you enjoy most, whether it is simply the beverage, history, process, or biology involved

Go ahead and attend a brew session with a friend or better yet get together with several friends and get a kit and give it a try. Brew at least three batches before you form your opinion of the hobby.

The hardest part like any other hobby is restraining myself from devoting too much of my life and earnings to it. While I dislike all of the required cleaning, it and temperature control is the most important part of making a good beer in my opinon.

1. Why do you do Brew, and where?I started brewing 20 years ago. I had just returned from living in Germany, and was really disappointed in the American offerings of beer. Decent imports were really expensive, too. I found it was much cheaper and more fun to brew my own. I started brewing in my garage, but now I'm building a brewshed with fermentation and conditioning chambers.

2. How did you learn about brewing, what influenced you? I happened to drive by a LHBS. Went back there a few days later with SWMBO and bought a basic kit with buckets etc. and Charlie Papazian's book. I read the book in one day and started brewing the next.

3. What previous knowledge did you have of brewing before you started/ what previous knowledge do you need? I had no prior knowledge at all, and really none is needed.

4. What are the different levels of success? Not sure what you're looking for here, but I liked JoeHPhil's answer. I've never brewed anything that I thought was undrinkable, but I've certainly liked some better than others.

5. What are the benefits to home brewing? I much prefer to making things myself as opposed to anything factory processed (you name it- beer, cheese, bread, sausage, pasta, soap, etc.) I know exactly what went into it and have complete control over the quality of the ingredients and the process. If you don't go overboard with expensive equipment, it's cheaper in the long run than good craft or imported beers.

6. What would you say to encourage others to home brew? That depends. To people I know, I'd say "come join me on brewday" and, of course, share some homebrew with them. For others, it depends on their beer experience. Before one starts brewing, he should have tried a few different beer styles, and have a good idea of what he likes. Some people think that they should homebrew to save money, but that doesn't work if you're comparing the cost to Bud Light.

7. What is the hardest part of home brewing, and what is the most important? Patience is the hardest part for me. I try not to even taste a beer that's less than 3 months old. For making consistently great beer, It is important to simply use good brewing techniques: Good sanitation. The best temperature control you can afford. Good record keeping. Fresh ingredients.

Pride in self sufficiency. I like loading my own ammunition, fixing my vehicles, and brewing my own beer. I grow my own vegetables and hunt for meat as well as raise animals for slaughter. I brew in my home.
    When I was still in HS, my stepfather brewed his own beer. He didn't do well so he quit. Last year I got a beer making kit for a present and it started there.
    I knew the basic steps and what the process of fermentation was. Basically if you can cook, you can make beer. Extract kits are very easy, all grain is more involved. I would say if you can make spagetti you can make beer with an extract kit. Both can make excellent beer.
    Success is measured by people differently. A goal of mine is to make great beer. The method is of no consequence so long as the end result is great beer that I'm proud of making. I think success is never truly achieved, since success is the end goal. You can always improve on success and can always continue success.
    Cost, variety, sense of pride in your work, the networking and social aspects of brewing, better understanding of the process and balance with science and art.
    Home brewing is a great way to enjoy great beer for an affordable cost and pride in accomplishing goals and beating challenges along the way.
    Hardest part for me was the timing and setup of brew day. I've only brewed one batch so far, but my layout wasn't very organized. Having a helper would have been great. Most important is never give up and never get discouraged. We all fail. We all make bad beer. Troubleshoot the cause, remedy the next batch, and keep going forward.
I hate character limits.

[*]Why do you do Brew, and where?

I like good beer and brewing at home is less expensive and it also satisfies my need to create and fix. I normally in the Garage and/or the Kitchen. Sometimes get together and brew with others at a "Brewday" gathering.

[*]How did you learn about brewing, what influenced you?

Friend's stepdad is a winemaker and always had carboys in the kitchen. I asked about how it works and he offered to help me make some. But I didn't like wine, so he gave me a bench capper and got me started making beer. That was back in 1990. Things have changed for the better since.

[*]What previous knowledge did you have of brewing before you started/ what previous knowledge do you need?

I bought Charlie Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing book when I started and it served well until the internet came along. The only things you really need to brew beer are simple instructions and the ability to boil water.

[*]What are the different levels of success?

Everyone has different levels of expectations and ideas about success.

Brewing your first extract.
Brewing your first All Grain batch.
Finding out that fermentation temperatures can REALLY improve your beers flavor.
They all contribute to the ultimate success, which is making world-class beer in your house.

[*]What are the benefits to home brewing?

Better beer for less money. Fun family activity.

[*]What would you say to encourage others to home brew?

Nothing. You either want to brew or you don't. If someone is interested in brewing the best encouragement is to tell them that it's really easy if you understand a couple of basic points, and there is a lot of great information online, especially at www.homebrewtalk.com.

[*]What is the hardest part of home brewing, and what is the most important?

Hardest part is not overspending on equipment.
No, the hardest part is not getting a divorce once you are obsessed with brewing and beer.

Most important would be SANITATION. Close second is fermentation temps, then yeast pitching rate. Encapsulating everything is RDWHAHB.

-Homer

I brew for the enjoyment of making my own beer styles and because I love the science involved. I do all my brewing in my 1 bedroom apartment.
    I learned about it from a friend, who introduced me to Charlie Papazian's book and lent me a bunch of equipment for my first brew session. My father has been making wine for over 30 years so that helped push me along as well.
    I knew very little (Reading this board I still think I know very little). All you need is an interest in beer and patience.
    Everyone wants to make a beer they can enjoy. Some people are fine with extract brewing forever. Others go so far as to open small commercial breweries. It is what you make of it.
    Cheaper (especially in NYC!). Always having beer on hand. Satisfaction of drinking your own brew.
    I would invite them over to see how easy it is and to drink some good beer at the same time. To the general public I would say "Unlimited good beer at your fingertips"
    The hardest part is drinking beer fast enough to keep pace with my brewing schedule! The most important is to relax and enjoy it.
[/QUOTE]

I was tired of paying exorbitant prices for craft beer sixtels.
I built a dedicated space to brew in.

Internet. I'm a perfectionist, I wont/can't stop until the perfect beer is made, which is never. I'm stuck in a perpetual brewing loop.

Very limited, for making kits, you just have to know how to read and follow basic directions.

When I get there i'll let you know.

Amaze your friends, and always have beer to drink.

I prefer to keep this an elitist sport.

The endless cleaning/sanitizing of equipment and kegs.
For all grain, I believe it to be water chemistry and proper yeast pitching rates as well as fermentation temp.

It's a hobby and we all need hobbies. Making things is good for the soul. I like beer. I brew in my kitchen.
2. How did you learn about brewing, what influenced you? The initial decision came when I was bored and browsing Amazon and saw Mr. Beer kits. I thought, "maybe I should homebrew." I never did buy Mr. Beer. This website has been my primary source of knowledge.
I was a 'beer snob' first, knowledgeable about beer styles, etc., but that's not a pre-requisite. You need some knowledge for brewing your first batch, but you don't need to know anything before you decide to take the plunge.
1st: brewing drinkable beer. 2nd: brewing beer that isn't just good for homebrew, but is good when compared to commercial beer. 3rd: *Consistently* brewing good beer.
Hobbies are an important part of life. It's not the output, it's the process that justifies it. That's pretty much it.
6. What would you say to encourage others to home brew? Don't do it to save money or to get drunk. You can have a satisfying life of beer drinking without ever brewing your own. Again, it's a hobby.
7. What is the hardest part of home brewing, and what is the most important? Hardest part is delayed gratification. Most important is temperature controls, or more broadly, yeast handling (aeration, pitching quantities,...). Sanitation is important but not as daunting as they would have you believe.

I brew at home, to participate in one of humankind's most time-honored crafts, to perfect the art (as much as I can), and to make some thumping good beer for an excellent price.
Once, right about when I first could drink, I thought: "What the heck is beer anyways? Can you make that?" Like many people, I found I had no idea. It's not intuitive, like with wine, and the (non-craft) brewing process is so distant and sterilized. There are vineyard tours; try to find a barley-field tour for beer enthusiasts. Anyways, curiosity turned to Google, Google to Wikipedia, Wikipedia to books, books to a LHBS, and that into beer.
I knew very little about the process before I started looking into homebrewing, but I gained a fairly extensive understanding before I attempted my first batch, which I devised the recipe for myself and did all-grain. I don't necessarily recommend this route; if you start with kits, or with a friend that knows how to brew, you need to know very little.
I'll divide them into three. From lowest to highest: 1. You make beer. 2. RDWHAHB 3. Win the Longshot, go pro. Or, you know, just make world-class beer at home.
Learning patience and care, mastering an art, making friends, always be learning, produce good, economical beer.
Depends on the person. Some people I wouldn't encourage at all. Others I would discuss the technical aspects of brewing to arouse scientific interest. Some I would give examples of how you can customize and experiment with different styles, or invent your own. Others I would talk about how it connects you with a noble tradition. Others I would show how you can obtain alcohol cheaply. It all depends on what they're interested in. Brewing has so many facets and perspectives to it; if a person likes beer at all, you can usually find something about it that will interest them.
Same answer for both. Waiting long enough for it to be at it's peak. That, at least seems to be the most common issue. Past that, my motto is this: Temperature is more important that Time. Applies to pretty much all stages of the process.

1.Why do you do Brew, and where?

Because it is a hell of lot of fun. I enjoy learning about the process of things and love to create the mini micro brew. In some respects brewing is so simple and in other ways it is extremely complicated. You can get as involved in understanding the process as you want, or you can just do it simply. I also enjoy developing recipes for beer you can not buy. I brew in the kitchen when my wife and kids are not around or late at night when everyone is in bed.

I learned by starting out with a kit and following the instructions to the letter. The kit turned out great so I was hooked. After that I just started buying and reading brewing books and talking to other brewers.

I had little to no previous knowledge. I had a bottle bucket and a couple of carboys from a wine kit. I don't really like wine so the stuff just sat around for years until a buddy of mine decided to give beer a try. When he was talking about the stuff he used I realized I already had most of it so thought what the hell.

Your really don't need much more than patience and a willingness to learn. The more you understand about why you are doing something and not just that you need to do it, the better off you are. Basic understandings of how to read instructions is really about it. A brewer can make beer out of extract kits their whole brew life if that is what they enjoy or they can buy/build in infinite number of brewing toys and tools.

This likely depends on the brewer. For me success in the beginning was making a beer that I felt was as good as something I'd buy. After that it turned into making a beer that I'd feel good about sharing with others. Now its about developing recipes for beer you can not buy, that I both enjoy, and that I can share with others.

5.What are the benefits to home brewing?

It is quite simply a great hobby that I enjoy all aspects of. I build anything I can and buy what I can not build. I love developing the recipes. I love watching the yeast go nuts. I am having a lot of fun coming up with names and labels. And of course the final product is beer so how great is that.

Get a simple recipe extract kit and the basic tools required to make it happen. Don't try anything too complex right away and read, read, read.

7.What is the hardest part of home brewing, and what is the most important?

Hardest part is being patient especially if something doesn't turn out right away. Most important. - In brewing there are a thousand little things that can impact the quality of your end product, but within those thousand little things there are five or ten really important areas to learn and understand. If you can manage to get a grasp on those then you can start to focus on the little things.

I brew because I enjoy the final product. Not just "beer" as the final product because I could buy that at the store, but knowing the effort I put into the tasty product. Trying out new and different techniques during the brew day can be a fun challenge. I mash in the kitchen and boil in the backyard.

I was forced into this hobby against my will. I enjoyed beer and my housemate said I should try brewing. I answered with a non-committal "yeah, maybe that would be fun". He got me a homebrewing book but it sat on the shelf until a friend gave me his dad's ten year old unused Mr Beer kit so I figured I had to give it a shot.

[*]What previous knowledge did you have of brewing before you started/ what previous knowledge do you need?

I knew what goes into beer, but not much about how to actually make it.
If you can boil water you can make a very basic brew.

If you make a batch that turns out great then that's a success. I guess other levels of success would be a smooth brew day or winning a competition.

Hearing your friends and neighbors say things like, "Your beer tastes better than ~Brewery X~"or "You made that kegerator and the beer inside? That's awesome". Having a pro brewer taste my beer and say it was good is a nice compliment too.

Go ahead and try it.

Trying to skimp on equipment to save money, but end up wasting time, getting frustrated, and burning yourself.
Most important is to RDWHAHB.

[/QUOTE]

I brew in my apartment or a friends. Brew for the enjoyment and satisfaction, feels great to brew your own beer when it tastes right.

Lots of reading online (blows, articles, forums, etc), books, and conversing with other people I know who've tried home brewing

No knowledge at all. Learned by doing.

Anywhere from a bad batch to a great tasting brew I suppose.

Personal satisfaction and accomplishment. There's a bit of a cash savings, but I don't look at brewing from a money perspective much

Keep reading, brewing, and trying new things.

Sanitizing (spelling?) is the most important thing, keeping the equipment clean is huge. Hardest part is being patient for the brew to be drinkable

I brew mainly for the end product of different styles of beer and the social aspect...I brew in my kitchen
Before I started brewing I was always into beer, and pretty much every aspect of it. I remember sitting one day thinking "you know that might be a fun thing to try", I've read books, researched online/on here, plus talking to other fellow brewers
I had a little knowledge of what all it took to brew, just never the full picture. But basically as many have said before, if you can follow directions/cook/keep a clean environment you can make beer
The different levels of success to me is having a great end product that's not infected, being able to be proud of what you've brewed, and to a degree having others enjoy it too..even the none craft beer crowds.
Saving money, getting that overall happiness from not only the beer itself, but full knowing that you've made it. Home brewing is also a great social tool and is a long lasting hobby
If you enjoy craft beers or am starting to get into beers, just try it...more than likely your appreciation and fulfillment will be achieved and there will be gratification from it.
Hardest part for me is defiantly having patience. There's nothing worse than brewing a beer and having to wait 5-6 weeks to drink it, let alone see how it turned out. Most important is sensitization and is highly stressed!

Back