Quantcast

Home Brewer competition at NC State Fair 2012

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OP
lkj7295

lkj7295

Reaction score
Does anyone plan on entering? If so just curious how many entries and what catagories you plan on entering.

Phideaoux44

Reaction score
I just found out the other day and intend to get a bunch of members from our club here in Wilmington to enter. I haven't even begun to decide what to enter though.

matt-tastic

Reaction score
I'm strongly considering putting in a Kolsch i just finished, but i'm thinking it won't even place. Still, paying 10 bucks to be my beer professionally judged isn't that bad. Because I don't have a secondary fermenter, its somewhat cloudy; but the flavor and color seem right on.

elvestinkle

Reaction score
My RIS came out more like a Foreign Extra, so I'm going to enter it in that. As you say, matt, professionally judged is loads helpful. w000000000t for beer in the state fair!

Reaction score
My husband & I are entering an Original Bitter, and a Lavender Wit. I'm honestly trying to game the categories that might have fewer entries... I love that the prize is eight bucks.

OP
lkj7295

lkj7295

Reaction score
Don't forget, next friday is last day for submitting your entries!

elvestinkle

Reaction score
Oh man, here we go. I'm waiting on tenterhooks to see how my imperial stout did! I entered it as an imperial after all, because after carbonation the hops came out a little better, and it's well over the 8% upper limit of the Foreign Extra (10% ABV!). Best luck to you all!

Reaction score
Results!

CLASS 206: ENGLISH PALE ALE
3. Paul Hobson – Standard Ordinary Bitter (8A, 206, AB-00006)

CLASS 214: BELGIAN STRONG ALE
Honorable Mention Paul Hobson – Belgian Golden Strong Ale (18D, 214, AB-00014)

My husband was the lead brewer, I am his assistant/equipment & supplies manager. We're pretty thrilled, honestly. Both of us are dying to see if there are any notes.

Also so happy for Chris Creech's best in show--truly one of the nicest guys in the beer community. That guy makes phenomenal beer and writes a great blog too: http://www.nchomebrewing.com/

Anyone else doing Brew Durham/Piedmont/Homebrews for Hunger in the coming weeks?

seatbelt123

Reaction score
citralovessorachi said:
Results!

CLASS 206: ENGLISH PALE ALE
3. Paul Hobson – Standard Ordinary Bitter (8A, 206, AB-00006)

CLASS 214: BELGIAN STRONG ALE
Honorable Mention Paul Hobson – Belgian Golden Strong Ale (18D, 214, AB-00014)

My husband was the lead brewer, I am his assistant/equipment & supplies manager. We're pretty thrilled, honestly. Both of us are dying to see if there are any notes.

Also so happy for Chris Creech's best in show--truly one of the nicest guys in the beer community. That guy makes phenomenal beer and writes a great blog too: http://www.nchomebrewing.com/

Anyone else doing Brew Durham/Piedmont/Homebrews for Hunger in the coming weeks?
Awesome! Way to go. Now you need to share those recipes Mrs. Cobrewer! :)

seatbelt123

Reaction score
@citra, yes, my buddy and I are bringing 20 gallons to home brew for hunger. In fact I have a sahti inspired ale with juniper berries bubbling away right now. You going too?

elvestinkle

Reaction score
That's pretty awesome--congrats, you guys. I guess with 144 entries it had to be some pretty stellar beer.

I would also love to see a feedback sheet, but I guess that's also what the Piedmont is for.

*kicks dirt* I lost 3 bottles of imperial stout to those judges...

matt-tastic

Reaction score
CLASS 215: SMOKE-FLAVORED & WOOD-AGED BEER

Neil White & Siegfried Johnson – Godswood Bourbon Oak Porter Wood Aged Beer (22C, 215, AB-00015)
Mathew Ledbetter – Ghost Ship Whiskey Stout Wood-Aged Beer (22C, 215, AB-00015)
Christopher Eure – Other Smoked Beer – smoked porter (22 B, 215, AB-00015)

I'll take second place for my first entry. I didn't get to enter my Kolsch, but This whiskey stout I helped my brother and I made was VERY good. Also, a good friend of mine made 1st! I'm always happy to see a friend do better than me :)

Jtd6628

Reaction score
elvestinkle said:
I would also love to see a feedback sheet, but I guess that's also what the Piedmont is for.
You really think we want get any BJCP score sheets that's why I paid to enter.

Reaction score
@citra, yes, my buddy and I are bringing 20 gallons to home brew for hunger. In fact I have a sahti inspired ale with juniper berries bubbling away right now. You going too?
20 gallons--nice! I like DH's sahti so much more than I ever thought I would. Can't wait to try it and say hi!

We're bringing 10 gallons--that is all we're really set up to serve, we have a 2 keg portable system. Brewed a breakfast stout yesterday, and I'm thinking we will brew our (award-winning, ahem) original bitter too.

Congrats to all winners of the BC--I am also hoping we get BJCP notes, but not holding my breath.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
Has anyone been to the state fair yet to see the homebrew competition exhibit? I might not get to go at all this year due to work. Any pictures of the exhibit would be appreciated.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
Here are pics I found on twitter so thank to all who shared them with us I would have missed it otherwise. The close up is my blue ribbon for a roggenbier!

image.jpg

matt-tastic

Reaction score
I got my Reward check from the Dept of Ag last week. That $7 check is getting framed!

Latest posts