Home brew tasting event

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyBrewer

Reaction score
My father-in-law owns a bar in downtown detroit, right on the river. We are trying to put together a home brew event where a bunch of home brewers bring in the fruits of their labor for people to sample. Right now we are looking for brewers that would want to participate. The local HBS, Cap n Cork, has agreed to set up a booth. We are also thinking about setting up a little prize for the best brew as voted by the customers. If you're interested reply to this thread as I can only get 5 PM's.

It sounds cool, but your father in law could probably get in trouble for serving what would be considered bootlegged beer!

My father-in-law owns a bar in downtown detroit, right on the river. We are trying to put together a home brew event where a bunch of home brewers bring in the fruits of their labor for people to sample. Right now we are looking for brewers that would want to participate. The local HBS, Cap n Cork, has agreed to set up a booth. We are also thinking about setting up a little prize for the best brew as voted by the customers. If you're interested reply to this thread as I can only get 5 PM's.

It sounds cool, but your father in law could probably get in trouble for serving what would be considered bootlegged beer!

I would think the only trouble would be if he charged for it. Otherwise it's just a gathering of homebrewers sharing beer.

There was some legislation pending in Michigan earlier this year that would allow homebrewers to have meetings and/or events at brewpubs. Up until at least March 2010, it was illegal. I'm not sure where the pending legislation stands right now. I don't think the event can be held legally at a brewpub, but check with someone up on the most current law before taking my word for it!

http://www.beertown.org/email/sylb/MI_2_26_2010.htm

We are not charging for the beer. Also, the parking lot is owned by a third party and that is where the beer tasting will be held. Worst case scenario, I set it up where I "rent" the parking lot from the third party. This way, we have nothing to do with the bar.

I might be interested depending on the date I could bring it up at my brew club meeting here in lansing at our may meeting

We are not charging for the beer. Also, the parking lot is owned by a third party and that is where the beer tasting will be held. Worst case scenario, I set it up where I "rent" the parking lot from the third party. This way, we have nothing to do with the bar.

That should be ok, then. You'd hate for someone to risk losing his liquor license over Michigan's ridiculous laws! Some states are even worse- in a state out west (I believe it's Washington), it's illegal to take homebrew anywhere. Even taking a growler out of your home to have at your campsite is technically illegal there!

In Michigan, it's legal to gift up to 20 gallons of homebrew per year but in some states you aren't allowed to give any away or are limited to a 6 pack! The laws differ greatly from state to state, so what is true for one state is probably NOT the case in another.

Anyway, of course don't take our legal advice! Find out for sure and then have a great time! It sounds like fun.

Yooper. WA did have some crazy law about not being able to share homebrew outside of your own home. Thankfully the law was repealed last year....And there was much rejoicing. :mug:

I might be interested depending on the date I could bring it up at my brew club meeting here in lansing at our may meeting

The number one issue right now is having enough brewers with enough beer to serve. I would be willing to work with your club on the scheduling if we could lock something in. I am pretty open on the date. My local HBS is having a demonstration day on may 1st and am going to recruit some brewers there also. It will definitely be on a saturday.

Back