Home brew shops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulpfiction32

Reaction score
Within the last year 4 home brew shops have opened in my area

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced such a thing

And i am left to wonder where are all these new homebrewers coming from

Nope, wish it would happen around here. Markets not big enough to support that many LHBSs in our area.

One new shop has opened here in LA, operated by The Bruery. Apparently they are suffering from some issues because both times I've been there during scheduled operating hours, it's been closed. But luckily it's right next to their tasting room so no biggie. :)

I learned to brew at a brew on premises across town. I was sorry to hear it went under. However another LHBS near my house recently expanded. The Denver market has several good stores. I think the market is set at the right saturation point. One every 20miles-ish.

I'm no economist, although I play one on TV. But I think it's due to the fact that for several years, there was a lot of disposable income out there and couple that with a ground swell of support for craft brewed beer and that was the reason for the rapid growth. I really hope the majority of the new shops can make it stick. I've been brewing for over 20 years, and up until about 5 years ago, the only time I met another HBr was at the LHBS (45 miles away). Of course you can't discount what the internet has done for the hobby, just look at the number of entries that say "I stumbled across this board a couple of months ago and now I'm going to brew my first batch....." I found this board while I was researching some parts for a plc automation project I'd had in mind for a couple of years. After looking for about 10 min., I realized a lot of these guys/guyettes are way outta my league when it comes to automation. I mean where else can you learn about brewing, see naked women, and argue about any subject? I mean besides one of our brew rooms. - Dwain

3 in lancaster and 1 in york I live in lancaster

I'm assuming you mean Mr. steves for York. That was a move from manchester down 83 a bit to the galleria.

For Lancaster we had Mr. Steve's Lancaster location, and Lancaster homebrew both open in August. What is the third Lancaster one?

I wish one would open up closer to me. The closest is about a half hour drive. Not that a half hour is far, but the hours they operate make it inconvenient for me.

my closest shop is 20min but i travel the extry 10 to hit the better one...course that one is bells brewery store so like it's a hard decision yaknow?

Lucky... The one I was talking about is in a guy's basement, and he's only open on Thursday and Friday, 6-8, and Saturday, 9-12. It's a great place to get my supplies, but those hours don't work well for me. There is one almost the same distance (27.4 miles vs. 26.9 miles) that has better hours, but it takes twice as long to get to.

One new shop has opened here in LA, operated by The Bruery. Apparently they are suffering from some issues because both times I've been there during scheduled operating hours, it's been closed. But luckily it's right next to their tasting room so no biggie. :)

Luckily, I just moved to LA and found out that the Culver City Home Brew store is a 5 min drive from my place. They're really nice, have classes to show you the ropes and now I have my first brew waiting to be bottled.

Back