Home brew kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the big retailers on line have basically the same beginner set up. The good news is: You'll still end up using the basic stuff years after you've progressed. I have.....

Hammy71 said:
Most of the big retailers on line have basically the same beginner set up. The good news is: You'll still end up using the basic stuff years after you've progressed. I have.....

Agreed. I'd just go to my LHBS and talk with them about what type of kits they have and what they recommend. Most workers love the task of introducing someone to homebrewing. (And yes, I realize I didn't answer your question. Sorry, there are just a lotta variables that go into it.)

I have two of Northern Brewer's beginner kits that I built my brewery around, and I think they're fantastic. They include your choice of one of three recipe kits to get you started. If you get them at the right time, they're often on promotion. When I bought mine, I got a free 5 gallon Polarware kettle with each. While I don't do my boiling in them anymore, I use them with my grain mill, to heat strike/sparge water on the gas stove for cheaper than I could with the propane burner, and for mashing out or really any other liquid movement. One downside is that you get 4 buckets (2 fermenting, 2 bottling) but only 2 lids. Spring for the extra 2 lids if you go with their kits, just in case you rack to the bottling bucket then something comes up, you at least have a way to cover it. Also, they come with S-bubbler airlocks. I quickly found that I greatly prefer 3-piece airlocks ($1.50 each) on buckets or any fermented that can flex (more fluid in there means they dry out slower), and moved the S-bubbler airlocks to my secondaries in carboys where the bubbles are less frequent and easier to see. Throw in a couple 3-piece airlocks in case you find you have the same preference.

Midwest's kits are pretty nice too, but a little different. You get a voucher for $25 off a recipe kit, I believe, but it's not delivered electronically. You have to wait for it to come in the starter kit, then place a separate order. Otherwise, the equipment is just as good.

Whatever you do, if you can afford it, get two kits. You'll need more buckets sooner than you think, and you'll already have them. It might seem like you won't need two of a lot of things, but you will. With my two cappers, my wife and I can cap at the same time. With my two hydrometers, I'm not afraid of shattering one. With my two autosiphons, I didn't freak out when I destroyed the first one (and was able to re-use the racking cane for a growler filler). With two of anything really, I'm not freaking out when I misplace something that I need right this freaking moment.

Good luck!

If you have a LHBS, use them, even though they'll be more expensive than online. When you have questions, want to go to homebrewer's nights, or need that $3 part held while they stay late, it'll pay off.

If you don't have a LHBS, online kits are great.

Back