Home Brew Competitions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to earn my first title. Does anyone know of any upcoming HB Comps. that I could enter or could enter out of state (an not have to be present to win)? I'll be relocating to Florida on Sunday and I have, what I feel, is a competition worthy brew and wanted to enter my brew into a comp. Any help would be great! Thanks. :tank:

Sweet! I'm in Jacksonville. Check out www.thecask.org. It's the local brew club. We've got a pretty big competition coming up called the first coast cup. Expecting upwards of 200 entries from around Florida.

Battle of the Brews at the Delaware State Fair. Just entered 4 brews myself today. You can do mail ins and do not have to be present.

Totally going to shoot for that comp. Seems fairly easy enough. However, now very keen on putting my recipe out there just yet... It is after all my "best seller". Why would I go and give away the farm, if you know what I mean, for a competition??? Why would we be required to fill our a recipe form for BJCP???

PortSideBrewery said:
Totally going to shoot for that comp. Seems fairly easy enough. However, now very keen on putting my recipe out there just yet... It is after all my "best seller". Why would I go and give away the farm, if you know what I mean, for a competition??? Why would we be required to fill our a recipe form for BJCP???

That's pretty standard, really. I suppose it's a quality control thing. And i wouldn't worry 'bout the recipe getting out there. Look for the CYBI recipe thread-- pros are giving away their recipes for free. Plus, it's less about the recipe than about the brewer's ability and process, IMO.

Piratwolf said:
That's pretty standard, really. I suppose it's a quality control thing. And i wouldn't worry 'bout the recipe getting out there. Look for the CYBI recipe thread-- pros are giving away their recipes for free. Plus, it's less about the recipe than about the brewer's ability and process, IMO.

Exactly, there are too many variables to affect how the beer turns out than just ingredients

Not to mention homebrew competitions are about the homebrew community, a way for us to get together and share and appreciate each others craft. I know very few homebrewers who wouldn't talk about thier recipes whenever the opportunity presents itself. That's part of the fun, seeing how different people interpret the same beer. If you're worried about the commercial viability of a proprietary beer recipe, well then your not a homebrewer, you're a commercial brewer.

I was just curious as to why they would do that, however, in reference to watersr's comment, I am a home brewer (I'll admit, still a noob but its better than nothing) with a desire to become commercial and own my own brewery. However, commercial or not, I will guarantee you I'll always home brew. :mug: Now, coming from a businessman's standpoint, theres a reason they call them "trade secrets". Now, as I go on here and post and reply to threads I learn more about home brewing and the community. Hence, why I asked the question "Why would we be required to fill our a recipe form for BJCP???" and got many helpful answers. And you're (conpewter), it would depend on the water process and starting point. Now, for me during the mashing, I do that that into high consideration (i.e. water supply) but when you're not presently doing it, sometimes that little detail slips away from ya. But thanks for the replies.

Do you have any IPA bottled and ready? There is an IPA competition at a local brewery here in the Tampa Bay area. $6 entry, two bottles. Must be registered by May 26, your entry must arrive before May 30. Judging is June 2, the results are announced June 9.

There is a mail-in address for entries and an online registration site.

PM me if you are interested! Oh, an you'll be competing for second...I'm taking first!!

I was just curious as to why they would do that, however, in reference to watersr's comment, I am a home brewer (I'll admit, still a noob but its better than nothing) with a desire to become commercial and own my own brewery. However, commercial or not, I will guarantee you I'll always home brew. :mug: Now, coming from a businessman's standpoint, theres a reason they call them "trade secrets". Now, as I go on here and post and reply to threads I learn more about home brewing and the community. Hence, why I asked the question "Why would we be required to fill our a recipe form for BJCP???" and got many helpful answers. And you're (conpewter), it would depend on the water process and starting point. Now, for me during the mashing, I do that that into high consideration (i.e. water supply) but when you're not presently doing it, sometimes that little detail slips away from ya. But thanks for the replies.

I really don't have a good answer for your initial question. I suppose they want to make sure you are in the right category, or perhaps they want to make sure your porter is not actually a peanut butter porter... and have someone go into anaphalactic shock or something (for example). I've only entered a few competitions, none of them required the recipe.

P.S. My local brewery gladly shares recipes with the homebrewers that meet there sometimes. I know several commercial breweries have published their recipes in magazines as well. Though some do keep them secret (still want my Dark Lord recipe darnit!)

PortSideBrewery said:

Right, unless you were brewing with the same water on the same equipment then there is no way two people can make the exact same beer, that's part of the charm. But regardless of all that, welcome and best of luck in your home brewing and future commercial endeavors. I look forward to trying to clone your first commercially successful beer ;p

Back