Hombrew Across US / Canadian Boarder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lieb2101

Reaction score
Hey all,

Here's a good one. Anyone know the rules about transporting homebrew across the boarder? I live in the Detroit area and have a cottage in Ontario. I'm heading over there over Memorial weekend and I want to take my homebrew with me. I'm sure this won't be an easy task...
Can I get away with a corny keg? Should I bottle it up? Anyone with experience doing this? Usually you can get away with a "case" of beer per person...

Thanks!

No idea about beer, but I do know back in 2004 my brother and I were on a road trip in western Canada. We crossed into Canada on two seperate occasions getting completely strip searched both times. We were driving a pickup truck and they made us empty every single thing out of it. All they confiscated from us was our firewood. I guess if I didn't look like a dirty hippy at the time they probably would have left us alone. And then when we came back into the US they just waived us in without looking into the truck at all. I'm sure we were fully loaded with beer when we went into Canada but I can't remember how much we had.

Question: Can I Bring Liquor To Canada - How Much Liquor Can I Bring To Canada?

Answer: If you are of legal drinking age (the drinking age in Canada is either 18 or 19 depending on the province), you are allowed to bring in, free of duty and taxes, either 1.5 litres of wine, or 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor, or 24 x 355 millilitres (12 ounces) cans or bottles (8.5 litres) of beer or ale.

If you bring in more than this amount, it will cost you in both customs assessment and provincial / territorial taxes.

yea but the taxes to bring beer to canada apparently arent much i have friends who went to the duty free stateside and brought back like 500 bucks worth of booze and apparently they payed only like 2/3s the price of what it woulda cost to buy in canada(gas not included)

I can verify that both entering Canada and coming back to the US with a case of homebrew (24x 12oz bottles) was possible as of June 2009. We were not searched, but we did mention it to the border guards at the time that we handed them our passports. No issues with the beer.

Back