Holy Whirfloc, Batman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HelperMunkee

Reaction score
First time using whirfloc, loved it!!! :mug:

I used to use Irish Moss with ok results. I was very surprised with the amount of break in the kettle (much, much, much more than with IMoss).

Does anyone make allowances for this? By that I mean adding more water to the boil, or allowing the wort to settle longer. Currently I whirlpool and let it sit 10 Min before siphoning to carboy; but still I was left with way too many precipitates.

Let me know what you guys are doing, I feel like I lost about 3/4 of a gallon of wort because I stopped the siphon when I got down to the break/sediment. I boil 6.5-6.75 gallons (full boil).

chode720

Reaction score
I love whirlfloc too! The stuff is great!

I compensate by having my post boil volume at 5.5 gallons, but I also dump all the trub/break materials into the primary. By the time it ferments and ages for 3-4 weeks, all of that material settles out and I am able to get ~5 gallons into my keg.

I know a lot of people filter that material out, but after 3-4 weeks in the primary, my beer is crystal clear and no flavor issues

FullDraw

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
+1. I recently became a fan myself. I never really cared about clarity, but wow. This stuff is good at what it does. I'll be using it on the lighter brews. I too have been transfering everything and haven't had a problem.

chrisknight

Reaction score
The stuff does work well... BUT, not as well as I thought it would. Of course, I don't cold crash either...
I plan to still use Whirlfloc in the boil and gelatin in the secondary from now on, changing the way I brew and cold crashing in my fermentation chamber. I guess now I have to get another temp controller. :)

MonkeyWrench

Reaction score
I was going to get Whirlfloc tabs, but the LHBS guy talked me into the Irish Moss based on price (cheaper for me). Do I ever regret that. The Irish Moss gets stuck in my IC and I have to pick it out from between the tubes with a tooth pick.

Now I have a ton of Irish Moss and at .25t per batch, it's going to last me a long time.

chrisknight

Reaction score
I was going to get Whirlfloc tabs, but the LHBS guy talked me into the Irish Moss based on price (cheaper for me). Do I ever regret that. The Irish Moss gets stuck in my IC and I have to pick it out from between the tubes with a tooth pick.

Now I have a ton of Irish Moss and at .25t per batch, it's going to last me a long time.

I had that problem too before I went to the Shirron chiller. IMO, the whirlfloc works better than irish moss.

RLinNH

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Been using Whirlflock now for about 3-4 years. Switched over from Irish Moss. Got a few FOGS that I'll be e-mailing this thread to. "That **** ain't no better then Irish Moss, blah blah blah...".

Great Thread!!! :mug:

TokyoRoad

Reaction score
Been using Whirlflock now for about 3-4 years. Switched over from Irish Moss. Got a few FOGS that I'll be e-mailing this thread to. "That **** ain't no better then Irish Moss, blah blah blah...".

Great Thread!!! :mug:

Whirfloc *is* Irish Moss. :)

Lodovico

Reaction score
I like it a lot as well and I was going to comment that it IS Irish Moss. I have a commercial brewer friend that told me 1 tablet is plenty for at least 3 batches if you want them to last longer.

1 tablet for a 5 gallon batch is overkill but it's good to sell more product I guess:)

Montanaandy

Reaction score
"I have a commercial brewer friend that told me 1 tablet is plenty for at least 3 batches if you want them to last longer. "

Interesting. I am going to split my Whirfloc tabs in 1/2. Thanks for the tip. Montanaandy

2-0turbo

Reaction score
One thing to add a beer clarity. I'm not sure how long people are leaving their beer in the fermenters or secondaries, but I think more is better for beer clarity. The third kit I ever brewed was an Octane IPA from Midwest. It was an extract kit with steeping grains and I didn't use any Irish moss. Due to a back injury, I brewed this beer, got injured and let the beer sit in the primary on the yeast for 14-weeks. It turned out fantastic! It is the clearest beer I've ever made (see caveat above) and I would swear it was filtered.

As I sit here and write this, my Mild Mannered ale is looking at me from across the room. The FG told me last week it was time to bottle, but I just figured I would wait another week or so and let the yeast continue to settle out and clear the beer a bit. Granted, I don't have the capability to cold crash, but I think just letting the beer sit around another week or month, or whatever can do it no harm.

frolickingmonkey

Reaction score
In my experience, Whirlfloc definitely works better than plain ol' Irish moss.

As for dosage, I read some instructions somewhere that called for only using 1/2 a tablet per 5 gallon batch. This is what I have been doing since switching to Whirlfloc 4 batches ago, and it works wonders.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
In my experience, Whirlfloc definitely works better than plain ol' Irish moss.

As for dosage, I read some instructions somewhere that called for only using 1/2 a tablet per 5 gallon batch. This is what I have been doing since switching to Whirlfloc 4 batches ago, and it works wonders.
I also have heard from [email protected] that only a half tab is required for a 5 gallon batch as well.

Brewerforlife

Reaction score
Indeed, a 1/2 tablet is plenty with a 1.050 or less wort. A higher gravity wort would benefit from the full tablet.The commercial rate from manufacture reads as this:
[ Whirlfloc T is a semi-refined kettle fining agent processed in a conveniant rapidly
dissolving tablet form. Use two tablets per barrel per 10 degrees plato/ 1.040 SG in
last 15 min. of boil ]. This equals to 1/3 tablet per 5 Gal. batch/ 1.040 gravity wort.
So I think 1/2 to 1 tablet per 5 gal. is about right, IMHO. Hope this helps. Cheers!!!

iasquith

Reaction score
I've been using whirlflock sucsessfully now for a good while , half a tab for five gallons seems just fine .
recently I wanted to try siphoning the wort off the top of the keggle as opposed to draining from the bottom, which is what i've done in the past, just that when I tried to do this I noticed there was clouds of trub in suspension and I had a difficult time siphoning between the clouds as it were,
My process is add whirlfock 15 mins before flameout, then stir to whirlpool, then let sit 20 mins before chilling ( immersion) siphon.
My question is would it be better creating the whirlpool 20 mins after flameout when the wort is not so hot so that I could draw off of the clear liquor?
thanks guys

Netflyer

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I always chill my wort w/out regard to any whirlpool until she is chilled... I usually leave my S.S. spoon in during the chill so it stays clean with the chilled wort. That said I do swirl the chiller around during the chilling process but I wouldn't consider that a whirlpool... I then remove my chiller when the wort is 68 and with the spoon that is still in the wort I whirlpool, so basically this is 20 min after the boil when the wort is chilled. I then let it sit covered for 15-20 min. Then rack from the edge or open the valve on the kettle and xfer to the primary.

I use Whirlfloc at the rate of 1 tab per 5.5 gal at 15 min left, but I've read where you can use 1/2 and some people use 2. Now that said, I have also read where you can use too much Irish Moss... I don't know how much is too much but that should be considered at least.

I also use straight Irish Moss at the rate of 1 tsp per 5 at 15 min if I'm not going to use or I'm out of whirlfloc.

Whirlfloc is Irish moss with other binders, Irish moss is red algae - in case you didn't know. If anyone wants to buy Irish Moss in bulk check Amazon for great prices. You can then be seen putting a clump of algae in your kettle and really freak out your audience.