Holy striped pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
Did my first spiced pumpkin ale (AHS extract). Everything went well, strained it into primary, gave it a swirl, aerated it and pitched yeast - OG 1.054 called for 1.055. Why the cool racing stripes??
DSCN1482.jpg

To me, it looks like alot of cold break in that there carboy! That's a good thing. I assume your chilled your wort really fast, and that helps to coagulate the proteins. Good yeast food, and it's good for clear beer.

YooperBrew said:
To me, it looks like alot of cold break in that there carboy! That's a good thing. I assume your chilled your wort really fast, and that helps to coagulate the proteins. Good yeast food, and it's good for clear beer.
It took about 15 minutes to get down to 80 degrees then topped off with room temp water 63 degrees, that made it right at 70, if you say it's good i'm happy:)

Mine had a lot of pumpkin in the primary so I left it for 2 weeks. It settled and I was able to get 5 gallons of beer from a 6 1/2 gallon batch. It looked fairly similar to that.

Well, good point! It's probably.............pumpkin!

But I think someone told me that the AHS pumpkin kit didn't actually have pumpkin in it, and I wasn't thinking about that.

Trust Rich on this one- he's obviously the smarter moderator!

YooperBrew said:
Well, good point! It's probably.............pumpkin!

But I think someone told me that the AHS pumpkin kit didn't actually have pumpkin in it, and I wasn't thinking about that.

Trust Rich on this one- he's obviously the smarter moderator!
I added 4lbs of pumpkin, but it seemed to dissolve nicely in the boil, and I strained it.

Back