Holy Krausen.... Blow off tube question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
So, I brewed up a big RIS yesterday... it came in right around 1.100. I pitched to packs of S-04 (re-hydrated) in a 5 gallon better bottle. The total batch is right under 4 gallons. Anyways, I'm glad I used a blow off tube because I have never witnessed this much krausen. Should I be worried about the amount of beer or yeast that is flowing out via the blow off tube? Any thoughts.... Thanks!

Other than losing beer no, I had a similiar situation with a Barley Wine that I pitched onto a solid liter of yeast cake from engish ale. When I have had huge blow offs (insert joke here) I have typically cleaned out the blowoff tube and container daily. Not sure if that is necessary just seemed like a good idea.

You're fine. Assuming the blow-off was sanitized and the other end put in sanitizer or vodka, you might even be better off not clearing it out. It is a contained, sanitary environment. Pulling the tube to clean it out is only giving opportunity for infection.

one more thing, be careful of clogs if your blow off tube is not of a large diameter. if you get a sufficient clog it could pop your stopper

Back