holy kraeusen batman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonsai4tim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to brewing, with the help of my LHBS my first was an extract+grains porter (turned out OK), 2nd is a maple porter (just bottled last week, tasted great warm/flat).

So what to do next? do what every noob trys---make a high grav beer.

Started with an extract+grains scotch ale (OG 1.055) as a "starter" with S-05 at the rec of LHBS. It was down to 1.020 this morning.

Made an extract+grains high gravity wort started with 4 gallons and 1/2 of the DME, and 1 1/2 oz Kent Golding for 40 min, then added the wort from the steeped grains, rest of DME and the brown sugar, boiled for another 30 min (added another 1/2 oz kent golding at 5 min before flame out)

Cooled to 70F, and found OG was 1.135 (oops, was shooting for 1.120 or so) and poured on the yeast left in the bucket from the scotch ale about 1130 this morning.

Ended up with somewhat more than 5 gallons.

O2 through air stone for 5 min at 1130 this morning, and another 5 min at 130 PM.

Came home 6 hours later to find kraeusen billowing out from around the bucket lid. (I didn't lock it on, cause I wasn't sure about this).

Wife's only comment: So thats why you put it in the bath tub.

I've finally cleaned up the mess, ran out to get some ferm cap, hope it helps. Lids back on loosely.

The Scotch ale is in secondary now, looks really good, smells good, tasted a little thin (but probably about right, from what I've read here)

tim
Not having to clean dry kraeusen off the ceiling: Priceless.

Its back--its only been 2 hours, and its already pushed the lid off. The 5 drops of Fermcap don't seem to have made any difference.

This time diluted the fermcap in a cup of water (boiled, cooled) and put it in one of the pump bottles I use for spraying star san. Sprayed it on the rising kraeusen, and it really knocked it back.

Also put a blow off tube on and locked the lid down--the blow off tube sounds more like a pig grunting in water than the bubbling of an air lock.

tim

Back