Holy Hops Batman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
About a week ago I received an e-mail from the local homebrew club about some hops available locally, Chinook, Cascade and Perle. Didn't follow up because I figured someone would be all over them real quick. Received a rather elated call last night from one of my co-workers and fellow HBT members Corey_James. He said I needed to bring my truck to this guys house and load up. Couldn't make it last night, but went over tonight and scored.

Truckload of hops. The bags are Chinook and Perle that he already had cut down and had in the carport. Cascades were still hanging off deck over carport (wish I would have had camera while I was there) Backed the truck under and just let them fall into the bed.
IMGP2665.jpg

Posing gangsta style with the cascades.
IMGP2667.jpg

Plucked all of the Chinook tonight. About 1 3/4 Five gallon pails full.
IMGP2668.jpg

Cascade on the back porch. It's going to be a busy weekend.
IMGP2669.jpg

i... hate... you...

That is the best score I have ever seen :rockin:. Got an estimate on the weight yet?

i... hate... you...

That is the best score I have ever seen :rockin:. Got an estimate on the weight yet?

No weight estimate. I was so busy plucking that I didn't even think to weigh. I will say that a five gallon pail of hops isn't very heavy at all.

The smell in the garage is wonderful.

The gentleman I got these from was great. Used to brew, but doesn't anymore. Didn't want money for the hops, just to know that they would be appreciated. I gave him 3 bottles of my 8-8-8 RIS anyway. Refused to let me clean up his carport or deck. I'm stoked because I always seem to miss the good deals like this.

That kid in the background (1st pic) is thinking to himself, "Oh, my God, that guy has a truck full of WEED."

That's not a good deal man, that a too good for words deal. Now you HAVE to brew a ton.

I am having flashbacks to picking hops on the college roomie's family hops farm.

Between the creepy B Cinema flashbacks and the envy, I find time to say Hell yeah and good job!

Definately some IPA's. I left the Chinooks in the garage overnight with a space heater and a fan blowing up through the filters. Almost all are dry right now. Tonight I'll probably get cracking on the Perles.

If it hasn't already been said...

Those hops are ruined... send them to me for disposal...

Hopefully I can pull a flame from Evan! for a comment like this :rockin:

Finished drying the Chinooks. Dry weight just over 2#.:rockin::rockin:

Any way of estimating the AA of these? Just curious.

Al

Honestly, probably not. The guy I got them from said 14%. For recipe purposes I'll probably just pick mid-range for the variety and use that. If my IPA's are a bit hoppier, not a problem.

I have already dried most of my Chinook and I got ~ 3 lbs of dry and I am estimating about ~ 1.5 for the Perle. Mac you owe me some of the Cascade for find on these!! :tank:When I called the SWMBO of the house, she told me to bring a couple of trash bags. When I rolled in I saw the Chinook and Perle laying on the floor of the carport and they took up the length and about 1/2 of it wide and were standing at least 2 feet high. The guy told me that he has had the 3 plants anywhere from 12 to 15 years. I was going to us ~13% AA for the Chinook and use it for an nice PALE ALE. I would have taken some of the Cascade but there was not enough light and it was raining; go figure rain in Washington! The aroma is awesome, it is so strong that my garage, living room, dining room and kitchen all smell like hops.:D

Plucked all of the Cascades this morning. My oldest son helped me out quite a bit with these hops. I'm actually pretty proud, because it's not often that I can get him to put in that much effort on one particular thing.(esp something that doesn't benefit him at all) We probably spent a good three hours with the cascades, and have so many that I have to wait to dry some. (I'm guessing at least 3-4#).

I'm going to virtually kick you square in the nuts the next time I see you in chat. :D

Why would you do that!!! gfete. I am a die hard Lions fan myself. I have friends that played for the Lions till injuries side lined him.:tank:

Looking at some resources, I would guess that some of these hops are past thier prime. Honestly I don't know how much brown is acceptable for a commercial hopyard, but fizzuck it, I'll use them anyway. I figure I'll have a better handle on things after the first batch or so that I brew with them.

Tomorrow=Vacuum Sealing.

Schnice. I wish I had a pickup truck, so that I could cruise around town with big black bags of green leafy smelly plants in the back. So effin' gangster it hurts.

Nice find dudes!

Still have a few more ounces of Cascades to pack for a final tally.

Here is a packaged picture. It's hops, I swear.
IMGP2743.jpg

Mmm mmm sweet sweet sticky ga-.... er, hops. HOPS.

Looks like late-addition fresh-hop IPAs are in your future, Jedi Master. :)

Back