Holy garlic hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
Just put a IIPA on tap after dry hopping and I'm a little disappointed to detect a slight garlic/chives flavor in the background. The weird thing is, I've never heard of these hop varieties giving the garlic smell:

30g Citra
28g Amarillo
28g Centennial

Dry hopped for 7 days around 60*. The smell wasn't there before the dry hopping.

I'm really hoping this is something that will mellow a bit because the beer is otherwise freakin' awesome.

Weird. I would think citrus... never had a garlic hop issue before! At least it tastes good!

Well I've heard people talk about garlic with overuse of varieties like simcoe, columbus, summit, and nugget (I think).

The beer should be fully chilled and mostly carbed tonight so I'll check it again. It may have been something about drinking it at 60 degrees. I hope it's not some sort of oxidation with the hops...

Citra can produce really grassy flavors if not used carefully. I haven't had any problems with Amarillo and Centennial. Summit is probably the most (in)famous onion hop!

I've used Citra before (though not to the extent that I've used Am and Cent) and never had problems with it. I think it's the most likely culprit in this case, however.

Back